Question / Help OBS CPU Overload at Idle

ku1deep

First of all I am thankful for the community for such a wonderful piece of software. I am sure the help and support of the community will be as good as the software itself.

Guys I am still learning Linux. I moved from Windows years back. Recently since Ubuntu 14 I am having issues with my Laptop. The graphics is an issue I believe. Its Radeon HD 7000 on a VAIO with broken screen. So its hooked to a 42" Plasma. I think Its got decent configuration for OBS. However I get very low frame rate first of all and its almost 100% CPU all the time. At idle its more than 90% for all cores. Its eating the CPU like hell. The Fan is behaving like a jet fan as soon as I open OBS. At present the OBS is just running idle. No streaming no Recording. But still I can feel the heat dissipated from the fan vent.

I am not good at Linux, I am still fiddling with it, Please help me. I may possibly need help with my Linux setup as well. Thanks in advance.

I have a hunch that its either my hardware or ill configured Linux /video drivers. Most probably Drivers or setup of my PC. and then may be hardware. I heard the laptop has hybrid graphics. I am not sure though. I have not been able to get into bios since i removed the factory/recovery partition running viao care in UEFI. If anyone could help me with a perfect setup possibly with Linux I would be grateful.

Thanks In advance. Please help me sort it out. Peace...

More information

lspci -k | grep -EA2 'VGA|Display'
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Thames [Radeon HD 7550M/7570M/7650M]
Subsystem: Sony Corporation Thames [Radeon HD 7550M/7570M/7650M]

Attachments

• 2018-03-29 11-28-11.txt
    8.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

ku1deep

The problem is that you're running OBS on a virtual machine.

But I am not. Its a full blown Ubuntu Bionic Beaver the beta version. There must be some other issue. Its not running any virtual machine. I have not even installed any virtualization software even. No VirtualBox or VMware.. nothing..

Harold

I believe the log more than I believe users. If you're not actually on a virtual machine, then your video card drivers are not properly installed. That is a problem outside of OBS.

ku1deep

I believe the log more than I believe users. If you're not actually on a virtual machine, then your video card drivers are not properly installed. That is a problem outside of OBS.

Yes you are right. As i mentioned in my first post I feel its something to do with either the drivers or the hardware itself.

Well considering the scope of this sub forum (Linux) then I think the issue stands closed since its not OBS running on Linux problem. Its a problem of me not running the Linux properly to start with. And I must sort my issue out on my own.. Probably in a Linux forum where people can help with not just Linux but OBS as well.

Thank You ..
Peace out.