OBS causing MacBook Pro fan to go constantly and Mac overheats / crashes 10 minutes into livestream

Kelticbill

I do a weekly livestream and have been using OBS without problem until I installed the update which came out early February 2021. The Mac crashes completely and reboots itself. Sunday Feb 7th my Mac crashed and rebooted three times. I then shut it down and started a new stream directly to Facebook missing out OBS, just using one camera and my motu M4 audio interface. I was able to complete the livestream - so the problem was definitely caused by OBS.
ON Feb 14th, I used my wife’s iMac and OBS to Facebook, that worked ok except the iMac (which has no fan) got very hot... but didn’t crash.
I really like OBS, but I can’t live with this instability.

Lawrence_SoCal

So you are running without ANY OBS plug-ins? if that isn't the case, how are you sure it is OBS's fault vs a plug-in compatibility issue?
Have you read the OBS update notes, and made sure non of the recent patches/updates impacts your stream, and/or checked relevant settings?
Paid attention to pinned post in this forum?

Kelticbill

thanks for your reply, no I don’t use any OBS plugins, my setup is quite simple and has been stable since I started using it in April 2020 until February 7th. I use a few scenes, 1. A waiting room picture for folks who join early, 2. A video of about 2 minutes to start the show, then I switch to live with video from a Logitech c920 and audio from my motu M4. The only thing that changed was I accepted the OBS upgrade which I had put off for a few weeks. I didn’t think of the OBS crash log as the whole Mac crashed. I will run it again and send the crash log when it crashes my Mac as it crashes every time, sometimes it’ll take 15 mins sometimes less, but so far since that update, it has brought my system completely down 100% of the time.

Lawrence_SoCal

OBS updated to version 26 last fall, and you would have received prompts long before Feb to update
OBS Studio 26.1.2 [MacOS only ] was released in early Jan 2021.
Are you using OBS Studio, or Streamlabs OBS (a derivative commercial product who offers their own support forum/staff)?

I was fortunate, on a Win10 PC that updating from 25.0.8 to 26.1.1 went without a hitch. But, the new version has some new options, and I'd assume some slightly different assumptions so a check of settings, and their implications is important to do after any major upgrade (like OBS v26, but also true for any s/w, not just OBS)