OBS causes PC freeze

Ocholiba

Hi all,

After last update of OBS (or before then last) it started randomly problems during stream. I am playing New World, i played it over 40 hours without closing and didn't see any trouble but while streaming every 2-3 hours it freezes my pc. Also when i opened OBS, it says it started full screen but it's not full screen. After i double click title twice, it fixes itself. (when i opened OBS: https://prnt.sc/1wicr1o and after i double click twice to title: https://prnt.sc/1wicul3)

I also uploading my logs for last 2 streams. Please help me what causes that freezes.

Attachments

• 2021-10-17 15-50-40.txt
    23 KB · Views: 28
  • 2021-10-16 20-11-02.txt
    28.5 KB · Views: 15

hildegain

Seems like you're having a few hardware issues in there. Realtek audio device throwing up errors. GPU Encoder throws an error at the end. Might want to make scene collections for all of the scenes you want to use rather than having them sleep in the background.

It seems like you've got some extra plugins in there that are causing problems so I would suggest trying a portable build of OBS and test it on there with the same encoder settings to see if perhaps there's an issue with plugins conflicting? If it still happens. Try running OBS with your recording settings set to 'use stream encoder' because I'm not sure how well it takes to running two separate encodes simultaneously.

The full screen resizing is a common issue where the game window and the monitor resolution aren't equal. Say your monitor is 1080p but you load the game and it is set to 2160p. When you tab back out. A lot of maximized windows will be sized incorrectly.

Ocholiba

Hey hildegain,

Thanks for reply. About realtek, i know what causes that. i use external crap mic and speaker but before i start stream, i change the jacks with my headphones. sometimes i forget before stream and change it after 10-15 seconds stream starts. That's always like this and never freezed my pc before.

IDK about scene collections, but i'll research and will fix my all scenes.

Before scene collections, i can open a 3-4hours stream with portable. So maybe we can see what is real problem.

About the resizing; game is 1920x1080 and both 2 monitors 1920x1080 with %100 scale. That resizing problem started this week, i am playing new world on streams since 28th September. Just confused a lot.

KewlioMZX

I've been having the same issue. Sometimes, the stream can go hours without a problem; other times, the computer will completely lock up half an hour in. I've tried nuking my OBS and rebuilding everything from scratch; this time, same result, and I wasn't even streaming, but OBS was running.

Seeing as Realtek stuff was mentioned as being possibly problematic, I'll try switching to a Logitech USB headset for now, but I've been having unrelated issues with that, so I'd rather not have to be stuck with them. I also removed a plugin I recently had added, to be on the safe side, but I'm sure this issue was happening before I installed it as well.

I have tried testing RAM, VRAM, and running CPU- and GPU-intensive tasks, and never run into any issues. The computer only ever freezes when OBS is running. If it's worth mentioning, I'm also on Win11 Pro.

KewlioMZX

Update: Nope, computer still freezing. Here's a log. (I was going to amend the previous post, but if it is possible to edit posts, the option is not obvious.)

Attachments

• 2021-10-31 22-05-06.txt
    17.9 KB · Views: 13

KewlioMZX

I have since reset my Windows install. I think the problem is resolved. There were no interruptions during a recent six-hour stream.

KewlioMZX

During Desert Bus for Hope, Paul Saunders mentioned having the exact same problem. Evidently, it was an incompatibility caused by the video driver, specific to resizing windows while streaming for some reason.