Question / Help OBS causes game to drop frames significantly. 144 - 20

iProSheep

Hi! I've encountered a problem whilst just having OBS MP open. Not recording or streaming (although the problem still persists then). I do not have this problem with the windows version of OBS.

I play CSGO casually, and normally achieve a stable 144 fps with g-sync enabled. When recording with the old OBS I achieved the same. Since OBS MP came out I'd thought I'd try it out. It seems just by having the program open my frames drop to about 20-25. Immediately after I quit out of OBS MP my fps rises to the norm. I should note that I'm currently using version 0.11.4 and am on windows 10.

I can include a log file from my previous session, although I'm not quite sure it matters as the problem seems to be with the program itself and not my settings. https://gist.github.com/a819ab0c8768eb585a87

Any suggestions to a solution to the problem would be greatly appreciated since I would love to start recording and streaming with the new OBS.

iProSheep

Thanks for the quick reply.

I tried it out and nothing changed, so I even tried setting it to ultra fast and, still, nothing changed.

iProSheep

It is! I turned off G-sync on my gaming monitor and the problem was gone!

Does anyone know why OBS MP has a problem with G-sync? I know that OBS windows had no problem with it whatsoever.

Last edited:

Atsou

It is! I turned off G-sync on my gaming monitor and the problem was gone!

Does anyone know why OBS MP has a problem with G-sync? I know that OBS windows had no problem with it whatsoever.

I used OBS Studio to record The Witcher 3 while in G-Sync mode, and I did not have any issues with fps drops. Try disabling vertical sync in your Nvidia Control Panel, and try again. I don't know if that was the issue, but I don't recommend using G-Sync for competitive games because it adds additional latency to your game if the fps above 45 to 55 (I read that somewhere, but I can't provide a source atm). I also recommend removing the cap on your CS:GO fps because the additional fps gained will reduce input latency for you (Try max_fps 0 in your console), and that would make it a smoother experience.

iProSheep

Okay, when you say disabling V-sync in my nvidia control panel, do you mean in the "Mange 3D settings" tab? As far as I know I haven't been playing with V-sync enabled, only G-sync. I have V-sync disabled in the in game options in CSGO.

As far as G-sync adding additional latency. I know it adds some latency, but a whole lot less than what people seem to think. In this this link http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview2/ they test input lag with and without G-sync in a variety of games. If you want to see the CSGO results you can scroll down about 1/4 of the page. Basically what they find out is that as long as the ingame fps doesn't surpass your monitors refresh rate (mine is 144hz) the extra input lag is minuscule.

The reason why I choose to use G-sync whilst recording is due to the inconsistent frame rate I get. When not recording I get frame rates of 260-300, but when recording my frame rates vary a lot more and occasionally dip down to 160. When the frames vary so much the game feels choppy and laggy, and I basically thought "fuck it, I'll lower my fps_max to 135 and use G-sync to smooth the images".

Wouldn't removing the cap on my fps just increase the problem? Basically giving a wider range for the fps to be inconsistent in?

Thanks for the tips though :) I will definitely try them out!

Treadpool

Okay, when you say disabling V-sync in my nvidia control panel, do you mean in the "Mange 3D settings" tab? As far as I know I haven't been playing with V-sync enabled, only G-sync. I have V-sync disabled in the in game options in CSGO.

As far as G-sync adding additional latency. I know it adds some latency, but a whole lot less than what people seem to think. In this this link http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview2/ they test input lag with and without G-sync in a variety of games. If you want to see the CSGO results you can scroll down about 1/4 of the page. Basically what they find out is that as long as the ingame fps doesn't surpass your monitors refresh rate (mine is 144hz) the extra input lag is minuscule.

The reason why I choose to use G-sync whilst recording is due to the inconsistent frame rate I get. When not recording I get frame rates of 260-300, but when recording my frame rates vary a lot more and occasionally dip down to 160. When the frames vary so much the game feels choppy and laggy, and I basically thought "fuck it, I'll lower my fps_max to 135 and use G-sync to smooth the images".

Wouldn't removing the cap on my fps just increase the problem? Basically giving a wider range for the fps to be inconsistent in?

Thanks for the tips though :) I will definitely try them out!

Curious, what ended up working? For me - might vary game by game - but in Fallout 4 I have to disable g-sync when using OBS MP or I get very low frames around 20.

TurchGespielt

Actually I have the exact same problem. Using G-Sync in Windowed Mode (it's nice to be able to quickly click on the 2nd monitor while playing on the first ;)) the fps in (borderless) games drop down to 22. When I switch to fullscreen everything is ok.

Any news? I really need the windowed mode. :D