Question / Help OBS can't use NTFS drives?

Slop

Hi there. I dual boot Windows and Linux and have a large storage drive I use between them. The drive is NTFS and OBS will not let me save recordings to it, or use it as a source for things like images for scenes. Is there a way to make OBS work with NTFS drives?

Slop

That would be a file/folder permissions issue, not a filesystem-specific thing.

Huh. Well I tried running OBS as sudo to see if that would make a difference, but it did not. I've got UID and GID set to 1000 for the partition, and everything else is able to read/write to it.

Tuna

Check how your drive is mounted. I think since Linux developers don't consider their driver for a proprietary file system unstable it usually mounts read-only. You would have to explicitly mount it read-write - but don't cry if it destroys your data.

EDIT: since you said other programs can write to it it must be something else. What about a log and error string?

Slop

Check how your drive is mounted. I think since Linux developers don't consider their driver for a proprietary file system unstable it usually mounts read-only. You would have to explicitly mount it read-write - but don't cry if it destroys your data.

EDIT: since you said other programs can write to it it must be something else. What about a log and error string?

Well as it turns out I have an OBS and OBS Studio installed. I installed OBS Studio through snap, I can't figure out where OBS came from (part of the same install?) But anyways, when I run OBS Studio it is able to interact with the drive normally.

Harold

The snap install is not an official package, and you using it may be the cause of the problem.

Slop

The snap install is not an official package, and you using it may be the cause of the problem.

Yup you hit the nail on the head. I didn't realize I had OBS installed through pacman (the official package) and the version I was running that wasn't working was the snap version. Official package is flawless, went ahead and uninstalled the snap. Thanks!

Harold

The only official packages are from the ubuntu ppa from the download page.
all other linux packages are provided by third parties.

Slop

The only official packages are from the ubuntu ppa from the download page.
all other linux packages are provided by third parties.

Ah yeah I've just got poor reading comprehension, it does say in big bold letters "Arch Linux Installation (Unofficial)" lol :)

Well regardless, it appears to work perfectly unlike the snap version. And that's all I need!