Question / Help Obs cannot see my device

chrisyeh79

Hi everyone,

My video capture card shows up in device manager and is listed as "working properly", but fails to show up in the device "drop down" menu. In the rare occasion that it does show up, it would show a blank screen. I've scoured the web, tried unplugging and replugging, reinstalling the driver, reinstalling all video capture programs, and restarting the computer before I load it again, none of the solutions worked. I am not using bitfender which some posts were suggesting could be the problem. The capture card I tried are on the cheaper end, mirabox, lindy, etc, which connects via usb and uses Window's native driver. If I plug the capture card into a different laptop it would work fine, which means this is probably a software issue.

In a fit of desperation I even reinstalled windows, after which, it would work for a brief moment, but if I unplug the capture card and replug it again, it would stop working

screenshot:

Any help would be appreciated.

chrisyeh79

let me elaborate a little more.

I attached a log file of a computer that worked.
and a log file of this computer that doesn't work to compare. The only difference seems to be that the DShow device section does not show my video capture card.

I also attached what it said under device manager (which is basically the same except for the parent device line)

The device would not show up in other capture program either.

Attachments

• working_mac_log.txt
    5.5 KB · Views: 98
  • notworking_log.txt
    5.1 KB · Views: 40
  • mac_working_info.txt
    418 bytes · Views: 27

koala

If the device is sometimes displayed by OBS and sometimes not, it's not a bitness mismatch between driver and OBS.

Try a different USB cable and try a different USB port. Disconnect as many other USB devices as possible (just for the test), keep only keyboard and mouse. Connect the capture device directly to your PC, without any hub in between.

chrisyeh79

If the device is sometimes displayed by OBS and sometimes not, it's not a bitness mismatch between driver and OBS.

Try a different USB cable and try a different USB port. Disconnect as many other USB devices as possible (just for the test), keep only keyboard and mouse. Connect the capture device directly to your PC, without any hub in between.

Hi, thanks for the reply
I am using hp's spectre x360, which only has 1 usb port that I connect directly. All the other ports (which are type-C ports) are clean. Any ideas?

Srihari

I am facing the same issue with mirabox - OBS but i am using windows laptop. The very first time it worked and from the next time it stopped.. I tried using with different usb port , i tried with zoom application nothing is working!! any solution?

Tweety

I'm wondering if anyone has received help with this problem. I am extremely lay person. I have an HDMI Video Capture Device trying to access the Amazon Firestick using OSB software. Like the others said, it will work one time and not again. After the first time, the software does not recognize the device. There is no option for Video Capture Card to choose from in the drop down list. I am using an HP laptop with three USB drives running Windows 11. No success on any drives but when I test the USB ports with a regular USB flash drive, they work perfectly. This leads me to believe there is a software problem. I purchased three different three different Video Capture cards and the results are the same.

Steve C

I'm having the same issue, the OBS software just isn't seeing my device at all. I've got a brand new video capture adapter and have just downloaded OBS today and followed all of step instructions (included with the capture device and also several tube video). No joy. Did you get you problem resolved ? if so how ?

HAGRID

same sort of problem here! nextgo webcam previously worked fine but now doesnt work in obs: ok in device manager and zoom and shows in obs device list but just shows black screen; not grey screen due to use in another app: have reinstalled latest drivers: looks like obs problem...