OBS as Screen Recorder - How Do I Do The Following?

drutgat

Hi,
I would be very grateful for some help in achieving the objectives listed below (which also means solving some of the problems mentioned)

OBJECTIVES
I was trying to use OBS as a screen recorder to do the following:
1. Record the opening of a program on my desktop (i.e., not going to a webpage of any sort)
2. At the same time as I was opening and clicking around in the program, I wanted to provide a commentary/narration
3. In addition to recording audio narration, I wanted to record the sound from the program I was clicking around in

PROBLEMS
1. Because I could not use the 'Browser' as a source to record the desktop (because you have to enter an URL), I tried using both the 'Window' and 'Display capture sources - but the 'Interact' filter is greyed-out with these sources, so I could not open my desktop program from within OBS

2. I was able to successfully capture video by minimizing the OBS Studio window and using 'Display Capture', but could not get any sound from the program I opened, although I was able to record my own voice

3. Strangely, when I opened the desktop program (Reaper, an audio recording program/DAW), OBS recorded the main window, but when I opened and manipulated the contents of a MIDI window within the program, the MIDI window and its contents did not record; i.e., in the video you could see the main window of the program, and my mouse moving around, but you could not see the MIDI window or it being opened or me manipulating its contents - you could only see the mouse moving around)

QUESTIONS
1. Is it possible to record the video *and audio* from a desktop program (a) within the OBS window (presumably using 'Interact'), or (b) using any other method?
2. Why did the computer/OBS not record the second window within the desktop program, and what is the solution to this?

I am uploading the log file, but have used OBS since I did the above, so am not sure that I am uploading the right log file.

Attachments

• 2020-12-26 19-44-35.txt
    16.4 KB · Views: 505

drutgat

UPDATE
For some reason that I cannot fathom, I can now see the MIDI window within the desktop program when I record, and the video records me manipulating its contents.

This means that the outstanding question is:
Is it possible to record the video and audio from a desktop program (a) within the OBS window (presumably using 'Interact'), or (b) using any other method AND to also record a second audio source at the same time?

koala

- if you want to record an app, you will use window capture or display capture source. Not a browser source. The browser source is for inserting web-based content into your video.
- you are not supposed to use the preview of OBS as mini version of your desktop. It's only a preview and used to rearrange sources visually. You interact with the desktop by using the actual desktop just as without a capture app.
- for audio, check OBS Settings->Audio and make sure you're capturing the Windows audio device(s) where your app is sending its audio to
- Not all apps can be captured fully with Window Capture. Popup Menus and dialog windows are also not visible with window capture. With window capture, only the main window of an app is captured, additional windows aren't captured. You need to use display capture if you have one of these issues/requirements.