Question / Help OBS 25.x Unusable on 16" MacBook Pro

Tharaxis

I am having a problem whereby OBS seems to quickly begin lagging behind audio. I have a single scene, with a single layer which is a Video Capture Device (BlackMagic ATEM Mini) capturing a Windows desktop, if the desktop is blank then the video seems to play realtime, but the second there's any movement on the desktop the preview (and subsequent recording) seems to start drifting again, if it goes back to blank then OBS slowly "catches up" and it returns back to realtime. This is even when there's only minimal movement. As long as there's something OBS has to do, it basically falls behind.

I am not getting any dropped frames due to render lag (except maybe like 5 when I start recording), not getting any encoder overloaded errors (I am using the hardware VT encoder to ensure no CPU load - though I experienced the same problem using x264), and OBS is reporting CPU at 6%, yet it continuously drifts. Funnily enough, *if* I am also viewing the same capture device in QuickTime while OBS is drifting, then QuickTime will ALSO drift out of sync at a similar rate. Once I close OBS, QuickTime will then quickly "catch up" and return to realtime, where it'll stay for the entire duration until OBS is opened again, at which point it'll start drifting. This does NOT even require me to be recording or streaming, OBS just has to be open for this to happen. OBS in general just feels.... laggy and slow.

From the appearance of it, which of course may be completely off base, OBS is causing some kind of video processing to slow down somewhere, perhaps bottlenecking the decoding of the Video Capture stream (which may explain why QuickTime then ends up slowing down too at the same time). I've attached logs, but you'll see that there's really nothing untoward being reported, and it's the same for basically every recording I do, and as I said, if OBS and QuickTime are displaying the same input, then it drifts without even needing to do anything.

I'm completely at a loss. I've had to switch to other streaming/recording software in the meantime (which works perfectly but lacks a lot of OBSs advanced features).

Attachments

• 2020-05-08 02-09-18.txt
    13.8 KB · Views: 10

Tharaxis

Just to point out, I've tried multiple encoders, tried changing audio sample rate from 48Khz to 44.1 (everywhere within the system), tried reducing resolution from 1080p capture/recording to 720p and frame rates from 60 to 30Hz, and nothing has worked. It's sometimes caused the drift to occur more slowly, but never to entirely get rid of it.