Question / Help OBS 0.8.3 and HD PVR 2 GE - crashing

Raisondetre

OBS 0.8.3 keeps crashing after a few minutes, saying that it's out of memory. I understand that this is a test version, but is there any way I can stop this from happening?

Last edited:
This is odd. I am using 0.8.3 and have HD PVR 2 gaming edition and I do not experience this crash. Worst I get is streaming Destiny and going to the tower causes massive frame drops and I allot that to the Tower being a social hub and my internet trying to handle all the info. Running out of memory sounds like a memory leak. You sure your install isn't broken or your registry isn't messed up? Also when was your last PC refresh or did you last virus scan?

Not sure if my logs will help if they are compared to this users logs but I uploaded them anyways.

Attachments

• 2015-03-02 03-51-54.txt
    7.5 KB · Views: 42

Raisondetre

Here's my log. There's a ton of errors while decoding, which is odd. I downloaded the zip file, extracted it, and opened obs32 under the bin folder. Is that not what I'm supposed to do? Do I just not have enough memory for this program? (it looks like I am going to have to free up some physical memory)Also, my registry shouldn't be too bad, I can run pretty much anything else, and the last time I scanned for viruses was Friday night.

Also, I have noticed that the preview of my stream gets pretty chopping with movement on a game or movement on the Xbox home screen.

Attachments

• 2015-03-03 00-11-09.txt
    9.1 KB · Views: 38

Arkofcovenant

I have the same problem. I have the HD PVR2 as well. It is really inconsistent for me too. Sometimes it will happen after 5 minutes, sometimes it will happen after an hour. I've noticed that every once in a while the video capture will freeze up and glitch for a few seconds and then go back to normal, but it is then a few seconds behind, and the amount of memory used will jump up. That will happen a few times and I will run out of memory eventually, with it getting more and more delayed each time. Would it help if I posted a log? I'm not at home now, but I can do it when I get home.

Also unrelated, but is there going to be support for chroma key on a window capture soon?

GillyMoMo

I will take a gander at this later today. I haven't had any issues yet with HD PVR 2 (it and the GE are one in the same).

Here's my log. There's a ton of errors while decoding, which is odd. I downloaded the zip file, extracted it, and opened obs32 under the bin folder. Is that not what I'm supposed to do? Do I just not have enough memory for this program? (it looks like I am going to have to free up some physical memory)Also, my registry shouldn't be too bad, I can run pretty much anything else, and the last time I scanned for viruses was Friday night.

Also, I have noticed that the preview of my stream gets pretty chopping with movement on a game or movement on the Xbox home screen.

As for you setup seems you dont have enough CPU power to run yours correctly. Based on what I read in your log you may want to try an even lower resolution. Rendering can eat up CPU really fast and at 1.2Ghz that just isn't enough. On the RAM side of the house I would safely say your at the bare minimum as overhead is always good.

I have the same problem. I have the HD PVR2 as well. It is really inconsistent for me too. Sometimes it will happen after 5 minutes, sometimes it will happen after an hour. I've noticed that every once in a while the video capture will freeze up and glitch for a few seconds and then go back to normal, but it is then a few seconds behind, and the amount of memory used will jump up. That will happen a few times and I will run out of memory eventually, with it getting more and more delayed each time. Would it help if I posted a log? I'm not at home now, but I can do it when I get home.

Also unrelated, but is there going to be support for chroma key on a window capture soon?

As for this issue as weird as it may sound make you unplug and replug your PVR2. They have this issue where they dont like to connect properly and the the intermittent issues arise. Give that a shot and see if that helps. I deal with I r quite a bit since I am not ready to start using this version of OBS yet (I do test things out frequently so that way when the time comes to switch I can & of course to help with the dev progress as bugs are found & fixed).

Jon Prete

I was having this issues when I was on the 0.5 version I updated it to the 0.8.3 and it still happen just not as quickly it mainly happens when I stream the fix I found was not to run any other programs on my computer do not have a browser up for your twitch dashboard I found I can use chatty which is a stand alone program for my chat and dashboard just no video preview and its works fine now I stream all the time on this set up no problems its use to be that it spikes at times and uses a lot of ram so when you have a browser up which tends to use a bit of ram its causes it to crash when obs spikes to the peak of what it needs for ram

Jon Prete

I have a YouTube video up of my setup and how I get it to work with my HD pvr ge my YouTube name is PBNJ The1AndOnlyFIRE only video I have up so far