Question / Help OBS 0.12.3 — Videos getting cut off before I end them

Devon T

I'm running Windows 10 build 10240 64-bit on my HP laptop and I've noticed that if I record (not live streaming) long videos (~30 minutes or more), the video gets cut off about 1-3 seconds before I press the end button. Basically, if I record a video that is 1:00:00 long and I end it at 1:00:00, it will only save 0:59:57 seconds of it.

I'm not sure exactly what the cause of this is, but it seems like when I'm done recording, OBS processes it too quickly. For example, I'll record a video that's about an hour long and once I stop recording, it processes the entire video within just a few seconds, if that. I would think that the longer the video, the longer it would take to process it.

By the way, my laptop is an HP Pavilion 17 with 8GBs of RAM and a 2.1GHz AMD A10-5745M APU. The GPU is an AMD Radeon HD 8610G.

Anyhow, if there's any questions, just let me know. I also uploaded the latest log file.

Attachments

• 2016-01-12 00-57-11.txt
    12.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

max20091

Did you use x264? if yes, switch to AMD VCE
7AKE9Jt.png

Harold

Max, that's not actually what's going on, and recommending VCE is not a good idea at this stage of development anyway.

Devon T

I'm sorry for not specifying, but I'm recording locally. My upload speed is horrible, so instead of live streaming, I'm looking to record the videos first, edit them if necessary and then upload it once everything is done.

In Settings, I do see that option, but unfortunately, it seems to be only available under the “Streaming” tab.

Harold

There's a known issue standing where the last couple of seconds of a recording are getting cut off.

I'm not sure what the current status is, but the current workaround is to simply stop 5-7 seconds after you normally would and cut the extra in a program like avidemux.

Devon T

Alright, my mistake. I just noticed that there is an option to use your GPU to encode the video. However, when I tried that, I noticed that the YouTube video that I was watching while recording was out of sync with the audio. Even when I had the bit rate setting to 1200 Kb/s, it was still messing up. Then again, I had 3 Chrome windows open with a total of 48 tabs, so that may have something to do with it.

I'm definitely going to conduct some more test videos and tweak the settings around to see what works and what doesn't.

max20091

I'm sorry for not specifying, but I'm recording locally. My upload speed is horrible, so instead of live streaming, I'm looking to record the videos first, edit them if necessary and then upload it once everything is done.

In Settings, I do see that option, but unfortunately, it seems to be only available under the “Streaming” tab.
Look at output, there is a recording tab and click it
Alright, my mistake. I just noticed that there is an option to use your GPU to encode the video. However, when I tried that, I noticed that the YouTube video that I was watching while recording was out of sync with the audio. Even when I had the bit rate setting to 1200 Kb/s, it was still messing up. Then again, I had 3 Chrome windows open with a total of 48 tabs, so that may have something to do with it.

I'm definitely going to conduct some more test videos and tweak the settings around to see what works and what doesn't.
Go Setting / Advanced tab
set audio buffering time to 1 and test with this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoeDZkGvvjg
My old youtube videos are desync for 1 second and I just found it last night

Devon T

I wanted to make a reply because I found something that seems to fix the audio delay issue with my webcam and the desktop and this may help someone who is also experiencing this issue. On the main screen, I found “mixer” options and in there, I set the audio delay to 200ms, because I noticed every time I make a video, no matter what I change, the audio is still out of sync. I changed settings like the Audio Buffering time, the Bitrate, buffer size and CPU usage preset at least 20 times and nothing seemed to solve the audio delay.

In case anybody is wondering how I came to the conclusion that 200ms was just right, I used VLC for Windows to adjust the audio delay and after each recording, I would replay my videos over and over to determine how delayed the audio was, thus I was able to conclude that anywhere between +150 to +200ms is where the audio lines up.