Nvidia DLSS causing black frames/glitches, stuttering (NOT dropped frames)

CJacobsSA

Hi there. Title describes the issue, pretty much. When I have Nvidia DLSS enabled in a game, I get black frames and visual glitches whenever something visually dense and detailed is onscreen be it railings, grates, et cetera. It happens even when the program is just idling and not streaming or recording, like OBS is just having a problem displaying it properly.

Here's a video of this occurring. OBS reports no dropped frames when this happens nor does the capture framerate or time to render frame change in any way. The program just seems to have a hard time interpreting whatever magic DLSS is pulling to do its upscaling. It occurs regardless of other RTX technology like DSR or ingame ray tracing being enabled/disabled.

Is there a way to fix this? Am I doing something wrong, or is this just a limitation of OBS and it must be disabled? I've provided the log file that goes with this recording test but it may not tell you anything as there are no dropped frames (aside from those that happen when you start a recording or tab in and out of a game) and I'm just using standard game capture.

edit: I'm also running OBS as administrator, have tried window capture and display capture (no change), and my recording/canvas/scaling settings don't seem to make a difference.

Attachments

• 2020-09-05 11-02-19.txt
    31.5 KB · Views: 16

CJacobsSA

Alright, after some more testing, it seems it's not specifically DLSS that causes this, but the act of lowering the render resolution to something less than the display resolution. DLSS just happens to force that, which is why I assumed it was the culprit. For example, the display resolution is 2560x1440, but the render resolution is 1280x720 and then upscaled. With this development in mind, what could be done to prevent the visual glitches and hitching on OBS if anything?