Question / Help NVENC vs x264

Veetus

So I just tried using NVENC as opposed to x264 and I noticed it to look / perform a lot better. Was I living under a rock where everyone was using this but me or is this some hidden gem that no one is using? By default, I don't think this is on.

My setup, if it matters:

Windows 10
16 GB RAM
i7 4770K @ 4.0 GHz
GTX 970

Only reason I tried NVENC was because I was having issues getting The Division look good and run smooth at the same time.

I guess my questions are: Are people using this? What are the pros/cons of using it over x264?

Thanks,
Veetus

Harold

For recording? you can make up the quality loss generated by using nvenc with additional bitrate. If you're streaming, the quality loss is enough to make nvenc useless.

Veetus

For recording? you can make up the quality loss generated by using nvenc with additional bitrate. If you're streaming, the quality loss is enough to make nvenc useless.

I am sorry. I should have specified. I meant for streaming and what I am saying is I am not seeing much difference in quality at all. I am streaming at 3500 KBPS if that makes a difference. 1080 downscaled to 720.

Harold

nvenc at 3500 looks about equal to x264 at 2000.

You'll get a far better quality per bitrate out of x264.

sam686

There is at least one use that did a test with NVENC and QuickSync: https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/.15963/
Their test shows terrible NVENC quality, but QuickSync isn't so bad.

Too bad my CPU is only i7-2600 so my QuickSync is limited to a terrible Sandy Bridge encoder quality. Newer generation i series have better quicksync encoder quality.

Enabling QuickSync is usually done by enabling integrated graphics in motherboard setting, and installing drivers so device manager shows "intel HD graphics"