Question / Help NVENC for recording - too dark? [resolved]

Treadpool

I've been toying around with OBS MP for the past few days. I think the quality of NVENC is much better than the original OBS, but it's way too dark. Anyone else notice this? In scenes where it's not broad daylight (dusk or night), it's extra dark. I tested with Xsplit and the original OBS and neither have this issue. My settings:

b7QEfd2.png
[/IMG]
b7QEfd2.png

FWIW, base resolution is 2560x1440, which is being scaled to 1080.

System specs:
i7-5930k @ 3.7
16GB GSkill @ 3000
Nvidia Hybrid 980ti

VanDuits

Hi.
click on the Advanced Tab (left). In the Video settings you will find something about colours. The 3rd option is at default on full, choose limited instead.
good luck

I'm not using NVEnc anymore (I used to when I was using original OBS) but yes, what VanDuits said is probably what you need to do. You don't want to use full color range as it will "rebase" color values and the immediate symptom you see with a mismatch is the black and other dark colors just looks too dark.

If I am thinking of the right thing, it's the YUV Color Range field below - you want to use Partial:

partial-color.png

Treadpool

Yep that did it. I was comparing NVENC to x264 and the difference is hard to spot anymore - when recording locally. Perhaps not vs lossless x264.

Some of these QP settings and their effects are a bit of a mystery and I don't see a ton of info on them. I'm noticing that lowering the max QP causes larger file sizes.

DEDRICK

QP means quantization parameter, it's for (bit)rate control and compression. In the simplest of terms, Lower QP values more accurately encode "hard"(motion scenes or complex) but at the cost of using more bits in a GOP (Group of Pictures), which leads to a larger file.

A lower QPmax value though can lead to wasted bits on low complexity scenes because you are reducing the range of the quantizer, less compression is achieved, this is why the defaults are QPmin 0 and QPmax 51

QP really matters at low bitrates, not so much when you are throwing 50Mbps to record something.

Last edited: