Question / Help Not so sure now...maybe it is VLC video source/media source causing periodic stutter even it is hidden or on another scene.

I3ordo

TL:DR
I Wrote this but then made another video this time with commentary;

--------------------------------------------------------
it is being uploaded right now and i need to take a break....

in this log file, i opened the scene collection
watched the stutter free preview window
transitioned to an empty scene
transitioned to a scene where it has only one image slidehow source that has automatic fade between 4-5 1080p images, the imageshow is set to "stop when not visible" .
transitioned back to 60 fps video scene and watched the stutter.

https://obsproject.com/logs/_0us9uMH9iT1KLeB

Last edited:

I3ordo

TL:DR
I Wrote this but then made another video this time with commentary;

it will be ready in 20 minutes (3:00 am GMT+0)

When you add "image slidehow" element to a scene, whether it is in the active scene or some scene where it is turned off also
if the imagedslide show has more than 2 images to fade into,
stutter starts and hiding it does not solve it, it does make the OBS stutter untill close.

Re-Opening the OBS makes the stutter is go but if you switch to another scene whether there is an imageslideshow there or not, the stutter comes and even if you switch to an empty scene, it is there.

THERE IS SOMETHING TERRIBLY WRONT WITH "IMAGE SLIDEHOW" element

Attachments

• 1539396505833.png
    1539396505833.png
    819.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Osiris

Some sources are still active when they are hidden or not in the active scene. This is to prevent loading delays when switching scenes.

I3ordo

thanks for coming by, have you watched this video that i added at the top, the post is abit confusing, loads of text etc...

in this video it shows how disrupting it s to have a slideshow , an "image slideshow" that is instructed to "stop" yet it gives a stutter that you would get by placing of 6 40k bitrate HD60frame mp4 files along with x64 CPU encoding.

here it is again.

I3ordo

anyways , i am glad i found the problem that has been ruining my scene collections (the image slideshow) and i have done my part in pointing out the PROBLEM, maybe if there was a better way to reach to developers of OBS, that would be better but that is all i can do.

the next part is onto the wizards of OBS , now gonna check SLOBS if same issue is there , i doubt it as the first thing i tried was to export it there and same stuttery mess happened there also. so...

Overflow

The stutter is back, upon openin the scene collections first scene, there is absolutely no stuttter even 6 1080p60 videos on the scene all visible playing, no stuter.

transition onto an empty scene and it begins and dont go away untill reopen. As if there are some timers that interrupt the gpu flow.
I have read that a possibile fix can be run Windows 7 instead of W10 but, this mean the problem is W10? Why on Win7 OBS works smooth without any stuttering?

I3ordo

The stutter is back, upon openin the scene collections first scene, there is absolutely no stuttter even 6 1080p60 videos on the scene all visible playing, no stuter.

transition onto an empty scene and it begins and dont go away untill reopen. As if there are some timers that interrupt the gpu flow.

I3ordo

I have read that a possibile fix can be run Windows 7 instead of W10 but, this mean the problem is W10? Why on Win7 OBS works smooth without any stuttering?
I dont think it is a w10 problem as i dont get stutter if i have only one or two sources.
Some sources are still active when they are hidden or not in the active scene. This is to prevent loading delays when switching scenes.
Maybe there is design idea that is not so good if you have video files as sources, as even thought not visible. affets the current although simple scene.

i wish i could prepare a scene with assets for the dev to have a look. i will have to do some modeling right now but after that i am ALL OBS.

Overflow

I dont think it is a w10 problem as i dont get stutter if i have only one or two sources.

Maybe there is design idea that is not so good if you have video files as sources, as even thought not visible. affets the current although simple scene.

i wish i could prepare a scene with assets for the dev to have a look. i will have to do some modeling right now but after that i am ALL OBS.
I have the stutter on the preview windows and in the stream without frame loss even in a fresh OBS install even without any source only game capture... i have tried XSplit and same result. Can't be only this image slideshow "bug", there is something wrong in OBS or in W10 for sure.

I3ordo

SLOBS same
Wirecast: omg it s a mess
Xsplit same.

And i cant reproduce it in a simple scene.

For ex:
If i had one Display source in scene A
and empty scene in B
but loads of stuff in others like image blend msk filter, audio ducking anything you can imagine in C-D-E-F-G
and if i just switcm from A, the simple one to B the none, stutter is periodic.

Overflow

SLOBS same
Wirecast: omg it s a mess
Xsplit same.

And i cant reproduce it in a simple scene.

For ex:
If i had one Display source in scene A
and empty scene in B
but loads of stuff in others like image blend msk filter, audio ducking anything you can imagine in C-D-E-F-G
and if i just switcm from A, the simple one to B the none, stutter is periodic.
Same here, i have tried even with a fresh install without nothing but game capture and problem remain. I have tried SLOBS fresh install now and the stutter seems to be more intense with SLOBS... i have uninstall nvidia driver with DDU and installed the latest one, nothing chanced. Tried with Nvenc and stutter was more intense than x264.

I3ordo

Found a thread that mention selecting "outline" for the text that created havoc on his OBS but i remember you getting the same results with fresh OBS or SLOBS scenes so lets chalk that out.

There is a stats window in View\Stats, have you checked that? @Overflow
1539568128968.png

Last edited:

Overflow

Found a thread that mention selecting "outline" for the text that created havoc on his OBS but i remember you getting the same results with fresh OBS or SLOBS scenes so lets chalk that out.

There is a stats window in View\Stats, have you checked that? @Overflow View attachment 40082
Yes and i have 0 frames missed due to rendering lag and 0 skipped frames due to encoding lag. And today i have tried with a fresh Windows 10 installation, i have installed only the windows updates and the latest nvidia driver. Fresh OBS installation but, same results.. the preview is choppy even with windows capture and desktop capture not only with game capture... this problem is really frustrating.

I3ordo

Have you looked into DPC Latency monitor utility? not like i gained benefit from it, and i had to disable igfx, hyper threading, virtualization, onboard audio, Turbo boost, C-states even disabled the gtx980ti but there is always this nvidia kernel or ndis.sys or classpnp.sys or usbport.sys there always something above 100us.
Maybe it just takes a luck ratio equavalent of a "lottery win" to have a stutter free pc...

Overflow

Have you looked into DPC Latency monitor utility? not like i gained benefit from it, and i had to disable igfx, hyper threading, virtualization, onboard audio, Turbo boost, C-states even disabled the gtx980ti but there is always this nvidia kernel or ndis.sys or classpnp.sys or usbport.sys there always something above 100us.
Maybe it just takes a luck ratio equavalent of a "lottery win" to have a stutter free pc...
But before i swap to Ryzen I had i7-6700k and I didn't had stuttering everything was perfect and smooth. After the swap to Ryzen this problem came out.