Question / Help Not enough quality

Hi,

I usually stream with the basic OBS which gives me a "Excellent" quality in Twitch Dashboard. Now i'm trying with OBS multiplatform, i've copied the same configuration that i have in the original OBS, but the image quality is worse and can't understand why... Also in Twitch Dashboard, when streaming with OBS multiplatform it says that the quality is just "Acceptable".

There is something i can do or this is just normal as the tool is in development?

Thanks!

ThoNohT

Developer
OBS Multiplatform should be able to produce excellent quality just as well.
If you post a log using the old OBS and one using OBS MP, we could compare the settings and see if anything is different.

Also, sometimes Twitch reports the reason why the quality isn't optimal, it didn't provide any reasons for you?

Nop, not reason from Twitch, here i attach you the last logs from both OBS Multiplatform and OBS original.

Attachments

• OBS Original - 2015-05-27-1316-53.log
    16.7 KB · Views: 53
  • OBS Multiplatform - 2015-05-27 13-52-07.txt
    3.2 KB · Views: 46
The log i attached is from a live stream. Tried again recording and streaming and also the recorded log file is the same, or even when i click on "view current log" while doing it, the file is similar.

I'm using the last Windows OBS Multiplatform build 0.10.1.

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
If so, then you posted a log from before the stream actually started. Do a stream/recording, close OBS, and post the latest log.

Ok i opened OBS Multiplatform, clicked on Start recording, waited for 1 min of recording, then i stopped recording, closed the program and got the last log file. Here it is.

Attachments

• 2015-05-27 17-58-54.txt
    5.6 KB · Views: 66

Tomasz Góral

Hello,
I think, Twich recompress your stream, maybe in this is you problem.
I have my own stream server and everything send to server i send to client, in Twich everything you send will be recompressed and send to client.

Yes, but then it would happen for both OBS's, now the quality of my OBS original is much better than the OBS multiplatform, even when recording.

ThoNohT

Developer
The only difference I found in the obs-mp log, is that you actually streamed with a keyint of 250, afterwards you changed it to 60 (which is the correct value for 30fps at twitch), but the log doesn't show a streaming session after that.

So you could check if the keyframe interval is correctly set at 2 seconds. This is the default for Twitch if you use the simple mode, if you are using advanced mode (which you seem to be doing), either use 2 or 0, as 0 will make it default to 2 seconds as well.

Edit: I just learned that there is a checkbox: "Enforce streaming service encoder settings". If this is unchecked, the default will probably be 250. But as long as this is checked, OBS should automatically default to the settings that are optimal for Twitch.

Tomasz Góral

Keyint 250 = Long GOP in TV, Intra frame is similar like one jpg, is big package of data, other frames B and P is very little to Intra frame, but streams start only from Intra.
If you want higher quality, use long GOP.
Please test you stream on own video server.

Enforce streaming service encoder settings is activated in my setup, also the Keyframe interval is set in 0.

Maybe i should just reinstall and try a configuration with the output mode in "Simple" or something like that?

ThoNohT

Developer
Simple mode should provide just the right settings. But then again, so should enforce streaming service settings.

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
Hello,
I think, Twich recompress your stream, maybe in this is you problem.
I have my own stream server and everything send to server i send to client, in Twich everything you send will be recompressed and send to client.
Twitch does not re-encode your video unless your are a partner, and even then, they still make the source video feed available just like everyone else.

Keyint 250 = Long GOP in TV, Intra frame is similar like one jpg, is big package of data, other frames B and P is very little to Intra frame, but streams start only from Intra.
If you want higher quality, use long GOP.
Please test you stream on own video server.
Part of Twitch's requirements is to have a 2-second keyframe interval. Whether or not having a longer keyframe interval produces better quality is irrelevant if you want to stream on Twitch.

After reinstalling the program and setting up the output config in simple mode, everything is working fine and the quality is "Excellent" (in Twitch dashboard) again.