Question / Help No Sound with Elgato HD60 using OBS

Clay Campbell

I know what you are saying another thread of no sound with Elgato using HDMI. But my problem is that I can see the video through the OBS (multiplatform) preview but I think my problem is that the Elgato won't show in my playback on the sound panel. Also when I go into the recording tab and select the stereo mixer and then the listen tab my Elgato doesn't show up in the drop down to process the audio with the video.

Could this be a problem with the install of the Elgato. I get the video just fine and I also tried another HDMI cord just to make sure the other one was no effected. I know I have read some posts of people maybe experiencing this issue but didn't know why the Elgato shows up as a Video Capture Device but nowhere on my sound panel for the audio side of it.

Please HELP as I am racking my brain for 2 days trying to figure this out.

Clay Campbell

See if this helps here. I reached out to Elgato and had them baffled as well. They made me create this zip file which I assume is the log of everything going on when ready to stream.

Attachments

• SupportInfo.zip
    585.4 KB · Views: 3,527

Harold

You have your elgato's capture source set wrong.
It needs to be set to use device audio.

Clay Campbell

Then will it show on my sound panel (volume icon) labeled "Elgato" Harold? Also with this now show in my stereo mixer in the recording tab so that I will now see the drop down device to select of Elgato?

Obviously I am at work and can't do anything here but will report back later my findings. If this works Harold I will be forever grateful.

Harold

Your windows sound mixer is irrelevant here.

It will show in OBS even if it doesn't play through your system speakers.

Clay Campbell

Do i need to go into the Elgato software to fix the capture source or is this something I can fix in the properties of Video Capture Device in OBS?

Harold

you MUST do it in the properties of the video capture device in obs.

Right now you have it set to your microphone.

Clay Campbell

I will go home and play with it more tonight. I will just remove the Video Capture and readd it again and set the appropriate actions you have told me to do.

Will report back. Thanks so much Harold for taking the time out here.

Clay Campbell

Harold I wanted to report in that I found the issue out on what I was trying to do. I am streaming with OBS on my laptop as I game on other PC (Gaming PC). I was using the Elgato and what I found out is that HDMI out on my Gaming PC would only output the video signal with no audio, hence no audio coming through the Elgato. So my fix here was that I had to go Analog Audio with the HDMI Video source. I used a 3.5mm splitter to split the signal so that I could still hear Gaming PC audio and then ported the other 3.5mm into the IN source of the Elgato which then the USB could then carry the signals together into my streaming laptop. Anyway thanks for your help Harold and hope this may help someone else on here. I finally had to do a lot of troubleshooting but never would have thought a HDMI wouldn't carry audio. Good Grief!!

Thanks and love OBS!

Jeffrey Alcon

Sorry if I'm bumping this thread. But I seem to be having the same problem. The thing is, the audio mixer is showing something coming through. And I've reinstalled the software and redid all my settings. The first while the aduio seems to work. But later on or a day later, the problem comes back. If I run my original OBS (not Studio) it doesn't seem to have a problem recording the audio from the elgato. Any ideas? I only have a blue snowball as a mic to the computer, and i'm capturing an Xbox one if that helps at all. I've offset the mic to a 1225 delay. and turned it off to stream pc games.

ryanclemente95

Sorry if I'm bumping this thread. But I seem to be having the same problem. The thing is, the audio mixer is showing something coming through. And I've reinstalled the software and redid all my settings. The first while the aduio seems to work. But later on or a day later, the problem comes back. If I run my original OBS (not Studio) it doesn't seem to have a problem recording the audio from the elgato. Any ideas? I only have a blue snowball as a mic to the computer, and i'm capturing an Xbox one if that helps at all. I've offset the mic to a 1225 delay. and turned it off to stream pc games.
I know this is a few months old but I am receiving the same issue as you, where the mixer shows the audio coming through just fine, but no audio plays on my separate streaming PC. I should mention I streamed a little over 8 hours yesterday with no issues, it was just this morning when I tried to stream again and it happened. Have you found a fix for this since then?

ScottyPGaming

For those that are still needing help...
Go to File>Settings>Advanced and change the Audio Monitoring Device to your headset.
Then under the Mixer display, click on the setting icon (cog) of anything that is there and go to Advanced Audio Properties.
Change the Audio Monitoring of your elgato to Monitor and Output.

Here's the video I found to get that info if there is any more confusion...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4NJ4_sqOE4