Question / Help No sound on stream when i plug my headset into ps4

EzY

Been streaming PC for a while but now i have started playing PS4 and have had issue with sound. When i do not have my headset plugged in i have no issue but when i play a game where i need to hear the sound of the game, i plug my headset into the controller but OBS is not picking up the sound.

I tried to plug my headphones into the back of my monitor but it does not have the jack port so i am kind of stuck.

I am using a Roxio hd pro

Anyone have any idea's?

I posted this problem before and was told to get a Elgato chat wire which i got but it makes no difference. Any help would be great.

carlmmii

PS4 doesn't support outputting audio to multiple devices, so wherever you're sending your audio for capture, that's what you'll have to tap into in order to hear it yourself. The easiest solution would be to have the capture audio output to your desktop audio -- you would be hearing your PS4 mixed with your normal computer sounds, at the cost of a little bit of latency.

The other option you have is to extract the audio from the HDMI output (I use an HDMI switcher with a built-in analog out for this), and route that however you want for your listening experience.

Reactions: EzY

EzY

PS4 doesn't support outputting audio to multiple devices, so wherever you're sending your audio for capture, that's what you'll have to tap into in order to hear it yourself. The easiest solution would be to have the capture audio output to your desktop audio -- you would be hearing your PS4 mixed with your normal computer sounds, at the cost of a little bit of latency.

The other option you have is to extract the audio from the HDMI output (I use an HDMI switcher with a built-in analog out for this), and route that however you want for your listening experience.

How would i go about doing the first option?

carlmmii

In OBS, double-click on your capture device layer to bring up the properties. There should be an option near the very bottom for Audio Output Mode. Change this to DirectSound or Waveout.

MermaidKilljoy

Hello! I am now having the same issue as you do EzY. But it has been working fine for me up to this point.
I would use my elgato capture card, chat link and obs to stream my gameplay from my ps4. Without issues.
Now whenever I plug in my headset, with or without the chat link, OBS doesn't detect the audio of the gameplay.
I know, like carlmmii said, it is possible to output the audio to my desktop, but I stream online games and would like to communicate with teammates, so I would need the Chat Link.

So I do not know what happened that I have this issue now, but have been looking for an answer for two weeks now. There has to be a way to fix this.

Juaxoo

@MermaidKilljoy I'm having the exact same issue.
Same as OP.
Without my headset plugged into my PS4 controller, OBS picks up audio of the game just fine, which wouldn't normally be an issue, but given the games i play, i want to have audio of teammates and myself communicating whilst playing.
Unfortunately when the headset is plugged in, the audio on OBS drops to 0. -.-

Anyone found any other solutions? Everything i've come across so far is a no go.

Dutchess90

Has anyone found a fix to this yet? Just got my card and it was working fine but now I can’t plug my headphones in to the controller without it cutting off the sound

konsolenritter

Its July 2021 and yet Elgato couldn't find an audio solution for this

This is a misunderstanding. Don't blame elgato for...
Elgato has nothing to do with the audio routing within the ps4!!

All what carlmmii wrote is true. He opened up a way to hear over obs (even with the lag due to the hdmi-usb chain).
For all of you (with this issue) want to hear instant audio without any kind of hearable lag, you should go completely another way, but it costs a few bucks.

There are split cables on the market that allows you to split the earphone-out plug of the ps4 into two ways: One way your earphones plugged in (true analog cable, thus no lag), and from the second way of the split cable you can go into the elgato hd60/hd60s+. There is an additional analog audio in socket for exactly that case.

Exact this case was to my knowledge. And it cost me twelf seconds to find exact this on aunt google using "elgato hd60s ps4 earphones":

This minute learned: The elgato solution is called "Elgato Gaming Chat Link" cable.