No sound from VLC source - fixed - what to check: monitoring, devices, etc.

Torfnase42

Hi
I had troubles getting sound from the VLC source.
While writing this post, I somehow did something that fixed it, but I do not know what.
This is a common issue, therefore I kept my post, turning it into a guide.

(Using Win11-64)
Newly set-up OBS. First time install on this machine.
Make sure, the latest VLC player is installed.
Use this also to double check, that your source files are played back correctly.

Add a VLC source.
- Try different 'audio track' setting directly in the source window, but 1 should work in most cases.
Klick the VLC frame in the preview window. This should show payer-controls below.
Klick play and scrub through the progress bar:

=> When playing, there should be audio output shown by the mixer for the VLC-Videosource
=> start the windows mixer (sndvol.exe). It should show indication of sound comming from OBS.

If not:
Right-click the vlc-video source and select the extended audio settings:
Set the vlc source to 'monior and output' !!! This is the most common catch. <===
- set all audio tracks active here.

Try different files and filetypes (in the vlc source settings), even newly created wav files, if the OBS mixer shows no activity.

In the program settings:
- try different sampling rate (44,1, which got me a warning, so set it back agein),
- set different audio devices as monitoring devices,
- 'default' should work, select your audio devices explicitly, check them (see below)
- de-/activated Windows Audioduckling, what ever that is.

Check the different audio devices of your machine:
- 'default' should work, select your audio devices explicitly in OBS settings
- Windows 'sound' settings - try setting different devices as 'default'.
here also the indicator should show the playing vlc source audio.
- switch between them, check if the target device is not muted: hdmi tv, bluetooth headphones, ...
- try paying sounds from different apps to this output / device. Try switching the windows default audio device. )

I do not now, what was wrong in my case. I think all settings where correct already. Even though:
Checking all of this, and fiddling around with the settings, switching them off and on again, somehow made OBS send the desired audio output.

good luck

Mr. Meathead

I've been using the VLC player in obs for about a year. About a week ago, the audio for VLC stopped working. I've tried everyrthing in this thread and still no audio. The audio works fine everywhere else. Windows 11 64 bit. All programs are updated. When a file is playing in OBS through VLC, I see the audio meter moving for VLC, but the meter for the mixer does not move. Thanks in advance.

FarLive

The VLC playlist will intermittingly not monitor the audio which I am using to simultaneously audio stream shoutcast, but though I cannot hear it, the sound will output to the video stream which I can only monitor by listening to the end output from the destination . I check the audio properties for the source and the settings are "monitor and output" - but when I select "monitor off" then re-select "monitor and output" it restores the sound. I still have found no fix for this glitch. I have tried many of the things suggested above, but the fact that a file that played fine when programmed in, will suddenly stop monitoring for no apparent reason leads me to believe that it is an internal coding problem.