No screen capture option (Wayland)

revsuine

Hello, I don't see a "Screen Capture (Pipewire)" or similar option in the sources list in OBS Studio.

I am on: River compositor
Distro: Artix Linux, using runit init

I am using pipewire and it is working fine. The way I am starting pipewire is having riverctl spawn a script with the line /usr/bin/pipewire & /usr/bin/pipewire-pulse & /usr/bin/wireplumber &.

While troubleshooting this, I tried installing wf-recorder and it worked completely fine for me. So screen recording must be possible.

I have:
  • QT_QPA_PLATFORM set to wayland;xcb
  • xdg-desktop-portal-wlr is installed

I have obs-studio version 30.2.1-1 from Artix's world repo.

revsuine

SOLVED: I installed wlrobs and can now record my screen in OBS. I'm still not seeing the "Screen Capture (pipewire)" that seems to be suggested I should be seeing online, but regardless, I am able to record my screen in OBS. Maybe someone else can suggest a better solution if this was not the intended solution for River.

For those with similar setups (using a wlroots compositor and a non-systemd system), there was also some helpful info in the xdg-desktop-portal-wlr github repo, and the troubleshooting specifically has a runit section. None of the fixes I found there solved the problem with OBS, but maybe those resources will help other people who stumble across this thread.