Question / Help No Option To Record Multiple Tracks In Simple Mode

oliver_cool103

I like simple mode because I can set it and forget it, plus I am not too savvy in this area. I would like to record multiple tracks for editing purposes though simple mode doesn't offer that. Simply I need help setting up OBS in advanced mode for recording. I am recording my games, my log is attached. :)

Attachments

• 2020-03-03 13-04-22.txt
    28.5 KB · Views: 23

FerretBomb

Hopefully multi-track recording will be added to simple mode.

In short, you want to use CQP or CRF (not a bitrate-target method), with a quality target in the 16-22 range.

Alternately, you can install the AudioWriter Filter and apply it to each of your audio sources to write out each audio track to a separate audio file, then re-sync them in your editing software:
Less elegant than having them all rolled into the recording itself, but also allows for more than six audio tracks, and allows using Simple mode for recording. :)

oliver_cool103

Okay, but what are I-frames and P-frames?

Attachments

• 2020-03-04 (1).png
    2020-03-04 (1).png
    32.6 KB · Views: 58

koala

The values define the quality of the encoded video. The higher the value, the lower the quality (and the smaller the file size). Sane values are between 15-25. There are 2 values for the different frame types of the resulting video. If one absolutely needs to conserve disk space, he sets the P-frame quality to a higher value (lower quality) than the I-frame quality, but to have a consistent look of the video, it's recommended to keep both the same.

oliver_cool103

I have tons of space and have the ability to buy more; I plan to edit video using adobe premier and upload to YouTube. Would 22 on both be a good place to be?

koala

I would make a line of test recordings of the same thing. One with 15, one with 18, one with 21, one with 23. Then compare all and choose the one that has the best quality/size ratio.

SpectreKid

I have tons of space and have the ability to buy more; I plan to edit video using adobe premier and upload to YouTube. Would 22 on both be a good place to be?
Usually for CQP/CRF, a setting of 18 gives ample quality for gaming. As @koala have mentioned, test around and see what you are happy with.