Question / Help No Desktop Audio When Using USB Headset (Added Quick Video)

FordRacer2007

So, I'm using a Razer Kraken 7.1 headset. When I have my speakers set as default I'm able to capture sound from my desktop (ex. spotify, videogame gameplay, ect.), and I'm also able to use my mic. When I switch to use my headphones as a default audio device, OBS no longer captures sound and I've already went into the settings and try to set every device as capture device but I still can't get it to capture an sound when using the USB headset. I do however get sound out of my headset. I can't find any other post relating to this issue. I'd appreciate any help I can get, thanks.

So I just realized that if I add Output Capture to the sources, I can get windows sounds to be captured but it won't capture anything else like game sound or even spotify, even though it plays through my headset.

EDIT: Made a quick video to be more clear about the issue I'm having https://youtu.be/vL6NkNVF1ZY

Last edited:

belboz

Not sure if you are having issues with OBS being active and changing default audio devices in Windows (plugging in a headset, switch default audio device in windows, etc). Sometimes I have had to rerun OBS, Or mumble, or other programs when I mess with the Windows default output device.

Something to check, you may have already done, but maybe not.

Have you tried closing OBS Studio. Then plug in your karken and make sure it is your default device (in windows playback devices). Run spotify or whatever you want to verify you have sound on your kraken (before ever introducing OBS into the mix). Then Run OBS and select either default device or the kraken itself in the audio settings of obs.

See if you see any audio activity then on the obs mixer. If not also try right clicking the speaker icon in the bottom right of the task bar and select playback devices. Right click your kraken headset and select test. Windows should play the default test sounds out the right and left channels, and you should see activity on the OBS mixer.

If that doesn't help, post us a log file from when you tried recording.

FordRacer2007

Also saw these.

https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/razer-kraken-7-1-headset-audio-fix.16539/
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/razer-kraken-7-1-headset-wont-work-with-obs-fixed.9952/

So I don't know if running 32bit OBS or 64bit OBS helps, or disabling the kraken launcher or kraken synapse. Not sure on the latter as I don't have this headset.

Thank you very much for all this info, right now I'm at work but when I get home I'm going to look over all this and give it all a try, it seems promising and it makes sense, thanks! I'll let you know if it worked out.

FordRacer2007

Alright, so I disabled the extra kraken launcher driver and that seemed to allow OBS to detect desktop audio. So that's fixed, but now I realize that audio coming from my headphone sounds awful, it skips a lot and sounds like it's having a hard time playing it, almost like lag. I disabled synapse as well and restarted and the problem persists, I also tried using OBS 64-Bit instead and same thing. If I close OBS the music starts to play normally, so OBS seems to have an issue with this headset for some reason and others seem to have the same problem.

belboz

Sounds like a driver issue on Razer's side. Make sure no Razer or Kraken software processes are running, it seems like all the people with problems and there are a buunch of YouTube videos of people fixing their issues by totally disabling the launcher and other razer services on the PC and things working then with OBS.

Check Razer's website also and see if there are any updates for your headset.

One other thing to try would be try different USB ports on the PC too.