No audio with an Elgato Video Capture

Hydraire

Hi all. I've spent my entire evening banging my face against OBS trying to get sound to come through. Nothing's worked - I don't even remember the last time I ended up on Google's 6th page of results. I'm using an Elgato Video Capture to convert some old tapes to digital. Video comes through fine, but no sound makes it into OBS. Elgato's proprietary software can pick up the audio fine. Here's the log. Any ideas? Obviously,

21:10:59.094: DShow: Could not set audio format
21:10:59.094: Video Capture Device: Audio configuration failed, ignoring audio

is sus as hell, but it doesn't give any info on how it can be fixed.

Thanks all!

Attachments

• 2021-11-24_21-10-58.txt
    6.2 KB · Views: 152

Hydraire

OK, I've finally figured this out.

Ultimately, the issue was with the Audio Input driver. If you go to Device Manager, you should see this under Audio inputs and outputs:
1637942245726.png

You want to right-click Analog Audio In (Elgato Video Capture), and uninstall. Then restart your machine. If you're anything like me, your OBS settings are probably looking super weird at this point. You might want to reinstall it, not preserving user settings.

Lots of online solutions suggest messing with your Properties and Advanced Audio Properties for the device. Don't use Custom Audio Device, it shouldn't be necessary.
1637942411374.png

For monitoring, I'm using Audio Monitoring = Monitor and Output.
1637942469772.png

That should do it. If you're seeing this from Google, hi! Hope this helps!

PS: I really twigged that something was messed up in the driver itself when I opened the Sound Control Panel by right clicking the speaker in the system tray -> Sounds. Under the "recording" tab, right clicking Analog Audio In for Elgato Video Capture and going to "Levels" in the pop-up menu from there showed no slider for the microphone - all the other recording devices I have didn't have that problem. So I figured a full nuke of the device driver (not just an update or a manual install from the Elgato Website) would be in order.

Ultimately, the issue was with the Audio Input driver. If you go to Device Manager, you should see this under Audio inputs and outputs:
View attachment 77413
You want to right-click Analog Audio In (Elgato Video Capture), and uninstall. Then restart your machine. If you're anything like me, your OBS settings are probably looking super weird at this point. You might want to reinstall it, not preserving user settings.

Lots of online solutions suggest messing with your Properties and Advanced Audio Properties for the device. Don't use Custom Audio Device, it shouldn't be necessary.
View attachment 77414
View attachment 77415

PS: I really twigged that something was messed up in the driver itself when I opened the Sound Control Panel by right clicking the speaker in the system tray -> Sounds. Under the "recording" tab, right clicking Analog Audio In for Elgato Video Capture and going to "Levels" in the pop-up menu from there showed no slider for the microphone - all the other recording devices I have didn't have that problem. So I figured a full nuke of the device driver (not just an update or a manual install from the Elgato Website) would be in order.
Hey, no clue whether you will see this but I made an account just so I could thank you. I only had to bang my head for 1 hour before I searched and found your post. I tried so many things to no avail. Your steps outlined above worked perfectly! Thanks again Brother!!!

brotherhutch

View attachment 77413

View attachment 77414
View attachment 77415

I too created an account to thank you. I wasn't even using an Elgato card, but a Conexant and this same procedure worked for me. Thank you!

chocolateCrunch

I'd also like to throw my thanks to Hydraire for figuring this out and reporting the solution. Elgato's own troubleshooting section attempts to describe these steps and fails in an easily overlooked section that has a broken image.

Unfortunately, I find myself having to uninstall the Analog Audio In (Elgato Video Capture) device and restart my computer every. single. time. I want to use the source in OBS Studio or reconnect the USB cable to the capture device. Is that true for anyone else? Is it possible to introduce some automation or a permanent fix so I don't have to restart my computer if I decide to use elgato video capture in the middle of a OBS stream?

knaz

I'd also like to throw my thanks to Hydraire for figuring this out and reporting the solution. Elgato's own troubleshooting section attempts to describe these steps and fails in an easily overlooked section that has a broken image.

Unfortunately, I find myself having to uninstall the Analog Audio In (Elgato Video Capture) device and restart my computer every. single. time. I want to use the source in OBS Studio or reconnect the USB cable to the capture device. Is that true for anyone else? Is it possible to introduce some automation or a permanent fix so I don't have to restart my computer if I decide to use elgato video capture in the middle of a OBS stream?
I had this same issue. I was able to go into device manager and just "disable it" (i.e. leave installed but make it unusable for the system) then restarted and now it works no problem.

knaz

View attachment 77413

View attachment 77414
View attachment 77415

I too just made an account only to thank you for this. I was trying everything until I saw this solution!