Question / Help No Audio using HDMI - USB Capture Device

ChurchTec

I am using a Canon Vixia HF R800 Camcorder and connecting using a SIIG HDMI to USB3 Capture device. My problem is there is no audio being sent. The video is perfect. I am running Windows 10 Home 64bit and OBS 25.0.4 64bit. If I use the internal mic on the camera my stream will have audio but this also picks up background sound since this is a Facebook Live Stream. Shouldn't the HDMI connection transmit audio? What am i missing? Will I have to use an external mic? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 2020-04-13 08-00-33.txt
    17.4 KB · Views: 103

Narcogen

Not sure I understand your question.

What audio is the camera supposed to be sending if not from its internal microphone?

ChurchTec

I know in some cases the HDMI connection contains both audio and video. The audio in this case would eliminates the echo effect of having the internal mic volume up

Robertjm

I'm kind of with Narcogen on this one.

The ONLY microphone you described in your setup is the external mic. Regardless of whether the audio is sent via HDMI, or not, that's the only mic you have.

In the FWIW department, I came to the forums today because I'm having an issue with audio being sent from my Canon Vixia HF g30, via an Elgato Cam Link 4k to my MacBook Pro.

Camera has a mini-hdmi out, which connects to the Cam Link, which then connects to the MBP. I record with an sdCard in the camera, as well as in OBS. The sdCard has audio, while the captured video does not appear to. :-(

I opened my Sound settings on the MBP and snapped my fingers in front of the camera while still tethered by HDMI and recording in OBS. There was a noticeable, albeit faint, movement of the bars. I then played some music on my iPhone, and cranked it's volume up maximum while placing the phone in front of the camera. This time the volume was captured along with the video just fine.

I then hooked up an audio cable directly from my Mac Mini to the mic input on the camera (which simulates what I do at my church) and played a song in iTunes. Came through just fine.

In my copy of OBS the MBP mic AND the Cam Link audio are being controlled by only one slider for some reason. (It's listed as "Mic/Aux").

Sorry, I can't point you to the Windows equivalent as I haven't used W10 in quite some time. But, I hope something of what I typed will help you. Seems like we both needed to just crank the slider volume somewhere. :-)

Robert

I know in some cases the HDMI connection contains both audio and video. The audio in this case would eliminates the echo effect of having the internal mic volume up

Last edited:

Robertjm

Just a quick follow-up since I apparently can't edit my prior post anymore.

I got into the OBS settings for Audio and was able to split the internal microphone and Cam Link audio into two separate sources, which then allowed me to control the volume sliders differently. Haven't tried it at church to make sure it works for me. But, it did in testing at home. :-)