No Audio on 2019 Macbook Pro with BlackHole

iborg

I've been thrown into the situation of learning OBS for a church. I'm the most skilled Mac person but I'll admit the current situation has me pretty frustrated. Due to issues with Facebook feed it was suggested that I update both OBS and Apple OS. I updated OBS from 27 to 29. Apple to 14.1. Since then I've struggled down a black hole with no success.

Here's my setup: 2019 Intel Macbook running OS Sonoma 14.1. OBS 29.1.3 (64 bit). BlackHole 2CH.

Sound input is from a USB connection. I can see the different sound levels in the Preferences>Sound>Input.

If I test the sound output is tested using either using a Youtube video, alert sounds or through BlackHole I can see the sound input registered in OBS.

I've tried various settings in Preferences>Sound>Output including a Multi Output device but do not show any sound output either in the System Preferences or OBS.

I'm pretty frustrated at this point. I've called an Apple Repair Dealer and they believe its a software setting. I'm not really sure where to go from here.

ANY suggestions would be most appreciated.

pixelpusher

Experiencing similar audio issues here. Just upgraded to Sonoma, and now audio is broken.

Previously I was on Mac OS 13 (Ventura), running OBS Studio 28, and everything worked fine, even as I've slowly upgraded my Mac and OBS versions incrementally over the years. I recently wiped my Mac and upgraded to Mac OS 14.1, and installed the new OBS (29.1.3), and I can't get audio from my USB audio input.

So, in my case:

• Freshly wiped Mac Studio (2022 M1 Max), MacOS 14.1
  • OBS 29.1.3
  • No plugins, no third party items, and no extra hardware audio routing. Vanilla install.
  • Behringer U-Control in/out box (generic USB audio driver that I've never had issues with on any machine) as analog signal input device with signals coming from mixer

In OBS I am able to see and select the USB device from drop down menus in audio settings just fine, but when selected there is no actual audio signal and the graphic meter shows no response. I have tried fiddling with various settings, like monitoring and checkboxes on the "Advanced" audio menu, but have had no success.

Also, to note: In Adobe Audition, I can see the USB audio device just fine, and it performs just fine. The signal is fine and there are no issues at all.

I just tried to downgrade to OBS 28.1.2, but the same issue persisted. Device selectable but no USB audio signal. So, presumably, it's changes in Sonoma causing this, since OBS 28 worked fine in Ventura for me.

We're unfortunately stuck until a fix.

Thanks,

-- PP

pixelpusher

Experiencing similar audio issues here. Just upgraded to Sonoma, and now audio is broken.

Previously I was on Mac OS 13 (Ventura), running OBS Studio 28, and everything worked fine, even as I've slowly upgraded my Mac and OBS versions incrementally over the years. I recently wiped my Mac and upgraded to Mac OS 14.1, and installed the new OBS (29.1.3), and I can't get audio from my USB audio input.

Regarding post #2 by me: SOLVED. All is working fine now. Apparently it was a permissions issues in Mac OS 14. In the main menu, I went to "OBS Studio" > "Review App Permissions", and in there under "Microphone" there was a path to granting OBS permissions in Mac OS's System Preferences. Hopefully this helps others too!

iborg

I got mine working. How? I'm not sure. I finally removed my input sources and changed them to default. I never thought of looking at the App Permissions. I'm pretty sure if its working I'm not going to mess with it.

AaronD

...removed my input sources and changed them to default...
That's just waiting to break. "Default" defers the choice of device to the operating system, which can and will eventually change it without warning or other indication. Usually in response to a device with audio capabilities becoming available or not. This could be a physical plug or unplug, or simply "going to sleep" or "waking up". It can't tell the difference.

So suddenly something will "just stop working", without you or anyone else having changed anything. Because that source is now looking at a different device.

Never use Default! Always choose a specific device, *in OBS*, for everything. Then it won't change.

Default is useful to show that a fresh installation works, with no knowledge of your rig whatsoever, as it has the best chance of being connected to what you're already using at that moment. Beyond that one test though, it's a pure liability. Don't use it!

iborg

Okay. That is logical. I'm guessing it should be a specific output device. My input is coming from a USB plug from a sound board. That is identified in the system settings. I have the options of speakers, USB, Black Magic ATEM video switcher, and Blackhole 2 channel. Which do I choose and why. I'd really like to know more about the software.

AaronD

I have the options of speakers, USB, Black Magic ATEM video switcher, and Blackhole 2 channel. Which do I choose and why.
Draw out your rig, either on paper or a block diagram sort of app (most office suites have one now), label everything, and wrap your mind around how the signals flow through it. Do the physical stuff first, then expand it to include inside the "digital black box of software".

Every signal has a type and direction, and different types and directions can use the same physical connector sometimes, without being compatible with each other. Make sure you keep that straight too.

1/4" TS and TRS ('phone plugs) are especially notorious for that, having been used since the old analog telephone switchboards that literally had an operator plug you into the right spot to complete your call, and then grew from there to become a practically universal audio connector until surprisingly recently. Lots of people have just plugged those together and wondered why their rig does something wacky, not realizing that the two physically-compatible connectors carry and expect different types of signal.

Media production has always been inherently technical. It's slowly getting less so, with dedicated connectors now for the signal types that are more likely to cause damage if they're mixed up - speakon for speakers, for one example, to avoid a serious electrical shock hazard without resorting to AC power connectors and their obvious potential for confusion (which did happen before speakon existed) - but the improvement in general is still very slow.

In the meantime, learn to think technically, or find someone who (actually!) does (instead of blindly following some training himself). The term "technical art" comes to mind, as it really is creativity within a set of rules. Kinda like graphical art in a certain medium that works a certain way - oil paint, graphite, markers, etc. - or musical composition, etc. The rules of "technical art" are the laws of physics, and a handful of industry standards. Beyond that, it's creativity. Find someone who clearly both enjoys that creativity and understands the rules, or become that person yourself.

Last edited: