Question / Help New Webcam starts deactivated

Brainyac

Hello again,

when I currently start OBS Studio my Webcam won't show up but as soon as I go into the preferences and click "OK" the webcam does work fine.
So it seems I just need to tell OBS my webcam is actually there.

Does anyone know how I can fix that?
I got the c920 with these settings:

RoYj4Ls.png

Brainyac

C270 is my old one and I only have the C920 now installed/inserted. I completely deinstalled software/drivers and got new ones.

But in my current log there is this: https://gist.github.com/e197223f7ae00fce682efd401639e28a

10:45:14.506: C920: data.GetDevice failed
10:45:14.506: C920: Video configuration failed
10:45:14.507: C270: data.GetDevice failed
10:45:14.507: C270: Video configuration failed

So it fails to get the Configurations?

// UPDATE:
I got rid of the error by just re-inserting the cam: https://gist.github.com/130b1df52d7e1d857973a54592029091
still the same problem.

Last edited:

Suslik V

Try to re-select the cam from the Device list or create new Scene Collection and add cam. Also, you may try to run Studio as admin.

exit obs studio,
then go to %appdata% and rename obs-studio folder (to e.g. obs-studio.old, this is to keep yout scenes and settings) then start obs studio and set up everything again.
see if it works again.
if so, have fun to set-up everything from scratch :)

this fixed the issue a while ago (appeared after obs update)

Brainyac

Alright, after an hour of testing I fixed the issue and also found out what exactly was the problem (so maybe it can help the developers fixing this).

The problem was the cropping (f you didn't know, you can crop your webcam by Alt+Pulling).

With cropping the webcam will load only after going into the Properties Menu of it and without cropping, it will load fluently and without delay on startup.

I hope that can help some people out there and the developers fixing this bug.
Cheers ~

Suslik V

The problem was the cropping (f you didn't know, you can crop your webcam by Alt+Pulling).

With cropping the webcam will load only after going into the Properties Menu of it and without cropping, it will load fluently and without delay on startup.
It was not so hard to figure it by yourself -_-

So, we have three possible solutions if webcam won't show up at startup (only after source Properties>click OK):
  • create new Scene Collection
  • re-select the cam from the Device list of the 'Video Capture Device' (even if already selected)
  • reset source transform (select source and hit CTRL + R or select source and go to the main menu Edit>Transform>Edit Transform...>Reset)