Question / Help New user: need help recording from window

rshepard

I'm completely new to obs-studio and running Slackware-14.2/x86_64 and obs-studio-24.0.6-x86_64. I want to record tutorials for my YouTube business channel.

I've configured obs and learned that I need to invoke the PDF slides (using 'impressive') and have it displayed in an 800x600 window on the same virtual desktop with obs.

I have window capture as a source and can select the application in the list of windows to capture. This puts an empty box with a red boarder in the obs display. I'm not sure I have the base and capture sizes correct. My monitor resolution is 1280x1024 and the PDF slides are in an 800x600 window.

How do I see what obs has captured? And where do I start recording since I see on the bottom right menu an item to start streaming but not recording.

Pointers to what I should read are appreciated. If there is a relevant log file I've no idea where it is located.

TIA,

Rich

derekkeats

This is probably not what you are looking for, but are you working from a single monitor? If you are and you can manage it, I would encourage you to get another monitor. I would find it extremely frustrating to use OBS on a single monitor to do anything beyond barebones basic stuff.

Having said that, if your monitor has a high enough resolution, can you have OBS in a small window, and then see what it is capturing that way. Can't think of any other way.