New OBS update - CPU capacity peaking to 70%-80% on MacBook Pro intel i9

LionelD

I have been streaming 1080p on my MacBook Pro for a year now. The CPU capacity used to be 22% at max. But, the latest OBS version (26.1.2 (mac)) is causing the CPU to peak up to 70%- 80% and I keep receiving the warning "Encoder overloaded. Please consider reducing the output resolution". The video and audio become choppy and the stream starts to lag. And sometimes OBS crashes.

Please help me fix this.

I tried using an older OBS version. It worked fine for the first stream but later it crashed.

Moreover, I feel that the latest version (26.1.2(mac)) was optimized to work well with the new MacBook Pro M1 chip. I am currently using an M1 chip 8-core MacBook Pro as a replacement to stream and it is working perfectly fine. The CPU capacity is being maintained at 17% and I did not face any encoding warning so far.
If my understanding is right, then OBS should fix this and at least release a separate version for intel Mac users.

Vaissi

I think I have same kind of problems running OBS 2.6.12 on Big Sur. I have 2,9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7. Just starting OBS without streaming or even starting the virtual camera takes up a lot of cpu:
obs cpu usage running idle.png

twindux

I'm on 26.1.2 in my 2017 i7 Macbook pro and it works without issue. No problems with encoder overload. That said, I do use the hardware encoder for my encoding...I rarely get over 18% on my CPU usage as listed in OBS, even with multiple cameras and inputs, and sound-mixer USB input.

Vaissi

I purchased a BlackMagic Design Ultrastudio Recorder 3G. It also displays some difficulty with OBS. So far I have had to ditch OBS out of my equation and play gigs to Zoom without OBS. I lose the ability to have scenes and some display elements but it´s worth the stabbility.

With BlackMagic Ultrastudio 3G and OBS I even had two complete crashes of osx Big Sur. It feels like year 1995 and Plug and Play again.