New-bi

KCav

I would like to start using Linux and I an looking for advise about How To down load and install Linux to Dell Latitude E6510 64-bit system.

KCav

AaronD

If you're looking to use OBS on Linux, I'd strongly recommend Ubuntu Studio:
It has OBS preinstalled, along with a TON of other media-related things.

Follow the instructions there, or for other *buntu distributions (some have better instructions than others, and they all work for each other if you can translate a different-styled screenshot into what you have), then once you have it running, you'll want to start with some basic maintenance.

Before you dive into anything, you'll of course want to fully-update the new system, as what you downloaded is only as up-to-date as when it was published. Put this in a script, right-click the file and make it executable, and run it as sudo <script-name>:
Bash:
#!/bin/bash

apt update
apt full-upgrade -y
apt autoremove -y
snap refresh
Continue to run that script periodically, when you have some time to troubleshoot what might have changed. That troubleshooting is a lot better than getting hacked! I want to control when that happens, so in my exploring all the settings, I turned the auto-update completely off. But I do run that script fairly often.

Let that finish, then reboot, then add OBS's official PPA as described here:
Run the update script again, and reboot again.

NOW, you can start playing with OBS on Linux. :-)

AaronD

One more note:

I like to stick with the Long-Term Support (LTS) versions of *buntu. Those are supported for 3 years instead of 9 months, and means that you only need to do a major upgrade every 2 years, when your current version is nearing the end of support and the new one has been out for almost a year already.

This puts you quite a ways behind the "bleeding edge" of cool features, but if you want something that *works*, that's exactly where you want to be.

KCav

Thank you for replying to my question about how to download and install Linux to my Windows system. Ubuntu Studio 23.04 sounds like what I am looking for. I would like to Try Before Installing. I am working on creating a bootable USB stick and downloading the Ubuntu ISO

KCav

KCav

I have been trying to use UNetbootin to create a bootable USB drive that will load ubuntustudio-23.04-dvd-amd64.iso The extraction process stalls after extracting 578 of 617 files, 93%. I started by using a 32 GB USB drive formatted with FAT 32, Then reformatted the drive using exFAT; next I tried I tried using a large USB drive, I formatted it with FAT 32 and then exFAT. In each instance the extraction process stopped working after extracting 578 of 617 files. I wonder why?

One thing I notice that I do not understand is under Extraction process it says, Source: casper\filessystem.squashfs (4,095 MB) Destination F:/casper/filesystem.squashfs. what should I do?

KCav

AaronD

You'll probably get a better answer for that over here:
Don't mention OBS. Just say that you're trying to install Ubuntu Studio and it's not working. With the relevant details, of course.

Also note that that's not really a discussion forum like this is here. It's intended for questions and answers, that are easy to search for later and easy for someone else with the same problem to understand. Keep "the other guy" in mind throughout the whole process, that you'll never meet, but will be grateful to have a clear, uncluttered description and solution appear in their google search.