Need to upload file to push to Restream as "live."

jdominy

We've got a contest finale show that will be about 150gb and an hour and we need it to push to Restream to run as a live stream so we can chat and interact as it's going on. What's the easiest way to do that in OBS?

Lawrence_SoCal

Not sure what you are asking?
Pushing a file means not live... and OBS Studio does not push files. OBS Studio can Record locally and/or it can livestream. People use OBS Studio primarily for livestream, but many of us do both, and some composite a Recording using OBS Studio, then use Video Editor for final tweaks, then upload file. That upload is typically done manually, via browser, as each content delivery network has its own process for accepting and tagging a new upload

So, if you want to Record a video, and later upload it to Restream, you'd use Restream's process for that upload (whatever that is).
Could you use OBS Studio to create the Recording? sure... all depends on what you are trying accomplish as to whether OBS Studio is the right tool for the task. Because of the computational power required for real-time video encoding, there are times when something like OBS Studio is the wrong thing to do... you'd be better off recording each camera input separately, then combining in a video editor... but it depends... and that can easily take a LOT more time (and end up with a better result)... so depends on expertise, budget, timelines, etc.

jdominy

Well, I was told by Restream that "As a workaround you could host the video file locally on a computer. Using an encoder like OBS, you can use the video file as a media source and stream the content to Restream using RTMP. This would enable your team to stream the video file as a "live" event to your connected social platforms using Restream." I'm just wanting to figure out the best way to stream this video file as a "live" playback later so I can monitor comments, etc.

Lawrence_SoCal

Uh, sure... I am NOT saying this is the right thing to do... just answering your original question
Read the OBS Studio Quick Start Guide on this site. If more through documentation is your preference, then these might help
https://streamgeeks.us/ > Online Resources
There is the whole, setup up OBS Studio to meet restream.io's requirements
then Single Scene in OBS Studio, with a Single Media Source.
To avoid unexpected audio interruptions, I'd remove and/or disable Desktop Audio... use only the media file audio

BE SURE to test thoroughly in advance (including test streams).

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Using OBS to stream a single media file is rather overkill, FFmpeg would be better suited to this task. If you still want to use OBS, add it as a media or VLC source and go from there.

jdominy

Using OBS to stream a single media file is rather overkill, FFmpeg would be better suited to this task. If you still want to use OBS, add it as a media or VLC source and go from there.
What do you mean? I've used FFmpeg before, but not for this kind of thing.