Need some help getting set up

s00perbuddha

Hi all,

I just started playing around with OBS yesterday. My goal is to stream videos at 360 or 480p on YouTube (more would be bonus but I understand my laptops limitations). When I try right now, my audio is crystal clear but my video is like one frame every 5 seconds lol. Can someone let me know what I can do to better things? I am connected wirelessly right now...but just want to make sure everything else is OK.

here is my log: https://obsproject.com/logs/PxcLz-U8-9zHTn95

Lawrence_SoCal

One of my first times looking at log.. so replying 'cuz I'm bored... Others way more knowledgeable will hopefully respond.. but I figure in case this helps, here's a quick newbie reply

a near 10 yr old dual core CPU for video encoding work .. yea.. don't expect much. what I did notice in the log was NOT running as admin (which in general is a good thing, but you may need for OBS - look into RUNAS)
Am I getting this right? screen set to 1920x1080, base canvas and output resolution is 1280x720.. I can't tell if you are re-scaling output for stream (which is extra work for CPU.. i don't think NVENC offload works on that old GPU.. but I could be wrong as well... not sure).

Yea... wireless could cause host of problems... As you've made the streaming connection... so aren't testing that... to have you tried simply recording locally (not streaming) and seeing how that looks? that takes the Internet out of the equation so you can focus on canvas size, bitrate, etc ... though beware, if old laptop and using SATA HDD vs SSD, disk I/O could end up being a bottleneck (even if not for OBS itself, so make sure background processes turned off that aren't required)

s00perbuddha

Thanks Lawrence. Certainly not expecting much with streaming. Just hoping to broadcast a video over on YouTube at 360p minimum.

The 1280x720 was changed manually as someone on YouTube said it was better for lower end computers...

i've tried locally recording and it's still choppy...sound is perfect.

not sure if it matters but i use an SDD.