Need help with Virtual Camera OBS 26.1.2 (Mac)

paddy666

Hi all, hope you are doing great.
I am new to using OBS and so far I have been loving it.
I use it working from home during my Google Meet calls with my teams.

Before using OBS I would only use my Sony camera linked to Elgato Camlink with a headset with no problems.
I have switched the setup since then and am noticing issues in Google Meet.

While I am on a call my video drops and I get a message that Google Meet is reconnecting.
During that time I can still hear my team talk but to them my picture freezes and disconnects after a while.

My setup now with the issue is:
Computer: M1 Mac Mini 16GB
Capture card: Camlink 4k
Camera: Sony a7R2 (HDMI)
Camera output: 1080p
Mic: USB mic Rode

OBS setup:

**VIDEO**
Base Resolution: 1280x720
Output Resolution: 1280x720
Downdscale Filter: Bicubic 16 samples
FPS: 30
Am using the builtin Virtual Camera

**AUDIO**
Sample Rate: 48kHz
Global Audio Devices: all are disabled as am using BlackHole2ch as an output and input (monitoring)
Channels: Stereo
Advanced/Monitoring Device: BlackHole2ch (as I want to feed my audio to Google Meet too)

**OUTPUT** (not sure if this is matters if am not streaming)
Mode: Simple
Video Bitrate: 2000Kbps
Encoder: x264
Audio Bitrate: 128

**ADVANCED**
VIDEO
Color Format: NV12
Color Space: 709
Color Range: Partial
Disable macOS v-sync: is checked
Reset macOS v-sync on exit: is checked

AUTOMATICALLY RECONNECT
Is enabled.
Retry Delay: 10s
Max Retries: 20

NETWORK
Bind to IP: Default
Dynamically change bitrate to manage connection: is not checked

SOURCES
Enable Browser Source Hardware Acceleration: is checked

MY SCENE SETUP
1. USB MIC with few filters
2. a png logo
3. Camera capture with two filters, crop and LUT. (am using a S-log lut to color grade it)

My broadband speeds:
It seems it fluctuates but you can see the average at the bottom.
I should be on much higher speeds according to my provider.
They sell it as 360 download / 36 upload so I have opened a case with them today.

1620490896936.png

So am wondering is there anything that stands out to you as something that is set incorrectly?
Thank you!

Not an expert at OBS but if your browser says that Google Meet is reconnecting then it might be a connection issue. Are your teammate able to hear you talking when your video freezes (I suspect that they cannot hear you) ?

Yes, it is quite common in Google Meet to be able to hear your teammate but they say that they cannot hear you clearly (they say your voice is breaking up). Those cases can even happen to people who uses their built-in camera and mic. You could test only passing your audio through OBS and see if it make a difference.

I admit that I do sometimes have issues with my camera freezing in Google Meet so I routinely check my OBS screen every 15 minutes or so when doing Google Meet to make sure that my camera does not freeze in OBS. However in cases where the camera do freeze, my audio never have issues.

paddy666

Yes you are right. I might have fixed it by calling my provider. There was an issue with the broadband hub I had.
The audio running from OBS to Google Meet is out of sync but that is a different issue.

I do feel that using Virtual Camera causes more delay than going direct to Google Meet but so far my teammates does not complain so I have not tinker further with this.