Need advice for s set up in my garage 125 feet away from my computer.

IamDan

Hi,

I have a DSLR camera (Canon t7i) which I will be using in my garage (100 feet away from my computer in the house), and I want to do live streaming from in my garage, connecting to my computer in my house. Buying a new computer or laptop to use in my garage is impossible. And I do NOT wish to hook my computer up in my garage by lugging it out there every time and then connecting a short 6 foot HDMI cable directly to my DSLR camera to my computer and then running a 100 foot long ethernet cable from my garage to my router in my house. I want to be able to run an HDMI cable from my DSLR camera to my computer in my house which is over 100 feet away. The video I will be streaming will be at 1080p or perhaps 1440p, to Youtube.

- Will a "one direction" fiber optic cable be able to deliver the signal from my camera to a capture device card that is both directions?

- Do I have to use a fiber optic cable with a setup of over 50 feet?
- Should the video capture card be a USB 3.0? Or should the card be an internal card (to use the speed of my computer to send a faster signal)?
- What features of the video capture card are required for this setup?
- What video capture card would you suggest?
- I don't have room for a PCIe x16 slot in my computer because I have an NVME (M.2) that has a huge heat sink that gets in the way of the PCIE X16 slot. I have room for a PCIe X1 slot.
- What cables would you suggest? Standard HDMI 2.0? Fiber optic HDMI 2.0?

HDMI cables that have signal boosting and/or post processing interfere with some video capture cards such as Elgato HD60 Pro, preventing them working.

My computer:
- Windows 10
- Processor: AMD RYZEN 7 3800X 3.9 ghz processor, 8-core
- Graphics card: XFX Radeon RX 570 (8GB 256-Bit DDR5 PCI Express 3.0). The graphics card has 4 HDMI ports in the back.
- Motherboard: ASUS Prime X570-P
- Memory GSKILL 64 GB ram total (in 4 slots).

Your help/suggestions will be much appreciated!

Lawrence_SoCal

I get the request. But I don't see a use case where this makes sense. Are you just using OBS to record video, or are you planning to stream? If live streaming, how are you going to monitor stream/PC remotely?
Considering cost of some of what you are talking about, it seems that replacing the NVMe drive with one that doesn't require such a huge heat sink might be worth considering? (or at least smaller heat sink and a fan pointed at it)

I have heard of successful long HDMI cable runs, but you have to be careful (and no, I don't know what/how they accomplished such, sorry) and you may have to try a couple of solutions before finding one that works specifically with the T7i. Hopefully someone that knows a lot more than I will respond to you