Question / Help NDI Plugin High Ping

Lee98

After stumbling upon the NDI plugin, and having a 2nd pc sitting around doing nothing I wanted to try and see how it worked.

Both PCs are capable of gigabit ethernet. However, currently, the PCs are in different rooms. The gaming PC is connected to the router through a powerline adapter, and the streaming PC directly to the router.

When activating the NDI plugin on my gaming PC, and making it visible on my streaming PC, my network usage maxes out and my connection in any game is atrocious, and anything internet related on the gaming PC is horribly slow. Although, it does not seem like the streaming PC is struggling with the load, I feel there is some throttling going on.

So my questions are, how do I fix this issue? (as its currently hard for me to hardwire my gaming PC because of it's location in the house) would it be suitable to have a network switch after my powerline adapter, and then hook up both PCs onto the switch?

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Powerline adapters rarely provide full gigabit throughput which is likely the issue. Putting a switch between the streaming and gaming PCs and using the powerline for the router only should resolve the issue.

Lee98

Powerline adapters rarely provide full gigabit throughput which is likely the issue. Putting a switch between the streaming and gaming PCs and using the powerline for the router only should resolve the issue.
Appreciate the response. The powerline adapters I have state they should support gigabit throughput. Is there anyway to test this is being achieved?

Also, just for some clarification. By "a switch between the streaming and gaming PC", how do you mean? As of current I cannot hardwire my gaming PC to the router. However, I can move the streaming PC to the same room as the gaming PC. Would a switch after the powerline adapter, then into the 2 computers work? Apologies if this comes across as a silly question.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
They support gigabit in theory, just like 5GHz wireless supports 1.2gbps in theory - in practice it is highly dependent on your environment - cabling quality, interference, distance, etc (the comparison to wireless is quite apt, since powerline adapters basically shove a radio signal over your house wires, turning it into a giant EM antenna).

And yes, moving the streaming PC next to the gaming PC and then connecting the PCs and the router (via powerline adapter) to the switch should work fine.

Lee98

They support gigabit in theory, just like 5GHz wireless supports 1.2gbps in theory - in practice it is highly dependent on your environment - cabling quality, interference, distance, etc (the comparison to wireless is quite apt, since powerline adapters basically shove a radio signal over your house wires, turning it into a giant EM antenna).

And yes, moving the streaming PC next to the gaming PC and then connecting the PCs and the router (via powerline adapter) to the switch should work fine.
Yup, thats completely understandable. I've ordered a switch and I shall try this out when it arrives. I very much appreciate your guidance.

qhobbes

FYI, there is something called MoCA adapters which is is similar to powerline adapters but uses the coax in your house instead. These tend to have better performance but cost more.