NDI/Direct Feed alternative to Skype for live/call-in participants? Skype NDI is terribly unreliable.

dex110

Hi there,

I was initially really excited bout Skype's NDI feature. And for my first few streams using it, it worked well. That seems to have been complete luck.

Now, I would say the NDI actually works on a Skype call maybe 50% of the time. This is really frustrating and stressful because I'll test it before going live- it works fine, then I go live and try to dial-in the real callers and no-dice. I'm left scrambling to try and get it to work and then if I can't, setup a junky looking Window Capture which is a huge pain because as I add/subtract speakers the window keeps changing and looks super unprofessional. I've tried restarting, reinstalling the NDI Runtime, reinstalling Skype, playing with what order I open OBS vs Skype, toggling Skype NDI on and off. These things do something, but with no consistent reliability. It seems more coincidence.

Unless anyone has a bulletproof fix for this on Skype, I'm not interested in wasting more time with Skype.

I AM interested in any alternatives, free or paid (within reason), that will allow me to have a direct clean feed / NDI audio/video source for remote callers. I need up to 2-3 concurrent callers.

I've done some early research but can't find any clear options.

Would love some feedback.

Best,
Adam

dex110

I had not heard of this!
This is rad. How is this free? Who is paying for the streaming pipes?

A little cumbersome as it involves sharing links. They send me their link and I will have to share my link- but I'll take that over the nonsense I was getting from Skype! this is an upgrade. Thanks very cool.

I had not heard of this!
This is rad. How is this free? Who is paying for the streaming pipes?

A little cumbersome as it involves sharing links. They send me their link and I will have to share my link- but I'll take that over the nonsense I was getting from Skype! this is an upgrade. Thanks very cool.

No paying for the pipes since *almost* every data being transferred is done via p2p.
There's also a group chat option where your callers see you and each other.

Although we've looked into OBS.Ninja, we've found it rather nitpicky and prone to mishaps during our tests. We just haven't found it reliable :(

Holds so much promise though! I really want it to work :D