Multiple Webcam setup - I need help

kahakura

I am setting up four webcams in OBS for video recording, not live streaming. Two of the scenes display live feeds, indicating they are working. However, the other two do not. These are a USB webcam and a Canon DSLR with an inline Elgato device.

All four devices appear in the dropdown menu, so OBS allows me to select the preferred webcam device when creating each scene. The problem is that the USB webcam does not display a live feed. Additionally, the DSLR shows the word "Elgato" but no live feed. The DSLR is connected to mains power, not a battery, but the live feed still does not display as expected.

Can you recommend a next step to resolve this issue and help me get webcam 3 (the USB webcam) and webcam 4 (the DSLR camera) working?

Last edited:

Lawrence_SoCal

Search this forum on USB Root Hub overload (1 possible problem)
Another possible problem cause is
- your computer isn't powerful enough to simultaneously process (render) 4 incoming video feeds
- your computer can handle 4 incoming video streams, _but_ not also everything else you have running

there have been numerous threads of recent years struggling as their computer can't handle the number of desired video input devices

What exactly is your next step? can't say... as it depends on this not in your post.
Volunteers like myself could give you a starting point if you followed the pinned post in this forum (link in my /sig) regarding posting OBS Studio log from a Recording/Streaming session when you have an issue

This might be a good starting point https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/camera-limit-3-work-fine-4th-has-problems.78827/post-547106 for your research
And exactly which ports that devices are plugged into can make a difference, a dock if one is involved, etc.

kahakura

I'm grateful for your words. I''ll investigate if either USB Hub or PC Processing power is the problem. I'll see if I can source an external video switcher. It is mentioned in that link you provided.

Last edited:

Lawrence_SoCal

External video switchers (typically for HDMI output devices) works by only sending 1 video feed to the computer. It is typically NOT for a USB connected device
Some people prefer external switching. Some folks computers can't handle extra video feeds
But, your compositing options go up a lot when all video sources are available to OBS Studio... just depends on your priorities and requirements
Examples of things you can't do with an external switcher providing a single video feed to OBS Studio PC
- picture in picture
- fancy fades between feeds (maybe an expensive external switcher (basically its own computer) can do this ??)
- OBS Studio automation based on activity/content within each video feed
- etc

kahakura

Setting this up is beyond my skill set, so I need help.
My Goal: Create videos that require no post-production work. No fancy fades.
Question: Would an external switch between input devices be best?
System Specs:
  • CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700T @ 2.80GHz
  • RAM: 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
Setup:
  • Camera: DSLR connected to an Elgato CamLink then connected to the PC via USB.
  • Microphone: High-quality USB mic for all audio, aiming to avoid audio lag since I won't be doing post-production.
Inputs:
  • The built-in webcam provides a live feed.
  • The DSLR does not provide a live feed, even when the document scanner is disconnected.
Problem: I need a solution to get a live feed from the DSLR, from the document camera, from Hi Definition WebCam2 and ensure the USB microphone is used for all audio, regardless of which camera is selected.
Request: Can you recommend a way forward?

Last edited:

Lawrence_SoCal

Request: Can you recommend a way forward?
IF you were technically savvy, with some serious OS optimization, similar within OBS Studio, then maybe... but that is a VERY old CPU for this type of workload, that I'm fairly confident won't run Win11 and Win10 is supposed to stop getting security updates next year (basically meaning not safe connected Internet... with a lot of caveats to that)

With a similar CPU as you mention in a gaming laptop, with the all important discrete nVidia GPU, I had 1 USB webcam working ok. But that system, also was easy to overwhelm. So, I won't be surprised if your computer is at its limit with 2 camera feeds

The easy (not cheap) fix is a much newer computer, ensuring it has a GPU for encode offload... I'm sure there are other options, but
1. I can't be sure they'd work
2. not sure how much technical sophistication required to use an alternative setup
3. and if turning off/disabling the extra cameras when not in use is even practical from a workflow standpoint

With that said, there are those on this board that might well be able to get your setup to work... with some finesse.

kahakura

That is helpful to know.
Can you recommend some specs for a new computer. Perhaps two options?
You mentioned a GPU for encode offload. I don't know what that means.
I could take the specs to a techsavvy team that does new builds. I'll get a price for each option.
Can anyone help with that?

kahakura

Last edited:

Lawrence_SoCal

That is helpful to know.
Can you recommend some specs for a new computer. Perhaps two options?

The problem is that the true answer to your question is... it depends.
I'm looking for a new workstation laptop... I want it to be able to run multiple virtual computers (so plenty of RAM) and do 4K video editing using DaVinci Resolve... and I expect a 5+yr life all of which that has implications on specs

You mentioned a GPU for encode offload. I don't know what that means.
For real-time video work, GPU offload is sort of basic. I recommend doing a little research
basically the idea is to take computationally intensive work, and 'offload' from the CPU to a dedicated chip specific to that task.. in this case video encoding and decoding. This is why small battery mobile phones can do video..

GPU offload helps prevent (but does not guarantee, as LOTS of other factors involved) CPU overload

Though not absolutely required, to be on safe side, I'd recommend getting computer with an nVidia GPU with NVENC.
https://obsproject.com/forum/thread...recording-gameplay-locally.150468/post-550211

Nvenc is a dedicated circuit on the GPU that runs independently. It doesn't need computing resources from the regular GPU, except if you activate look-ahead or psycho-visual tuning, where it needs a tiny bit of regular GPU resources. It's "free" to use, if it comes to resource utilization. This is the crucial advantage of nvenc in comparison to AMD VCE (AMD GPUs) and Quicksync (Intel iGPU).
There are differences in the Nvenc performance and quality. "Performance" means the maximum amount of fps that can be encoded for a given resolution. For example, some oldest Nvenc circuits aren't powerful enough to encode 4k with 60 fps, but all the newer ones are.

Each Nvidia chip generation comes with its own improved Nvenc.
Nvenc on the Pascal chip is about the same quality as x264 veryfast
Nvenc on the Turing chip is about the same quality as x264 medium to slow
Nvenc on the Ampere chip is about the same quality as x264 slow

GTX 10xx is using the Pascal chip.
GTX 1650 is using the Turing GPU cores but the Pascal Nvenc.
GTX 1650 SUPER is using the Turing chip.
GTX 1660 and GTX 1660 SUPER are both using the Turing chip.
RTX 2xxx is using the Turing chip
RTX 3xxx is using the Ampere chip

The Ti variants use the same chip as the SUPER variants, or the non Ti variants, if there is no SUPER variant.
The only confusion is with the GTX 1650 and GTX 1650 SUPER, because the original GTX 1650 (non SUPER) uses the Turing GPU cores but the Pascal Nvenc.

tl;dr
Use Nvenc, if it is available. There is no need for using x264, if you have Nvenc. If you have a Turing Nvenc, you probably don't have a very powerful CPU as well, so using x264 better than veryfast will consume so much CPU resources that the app you're capturing will suffer, so there is no improvement over nvenc if seen as a whole.

Personally, my 4yr old i7-10700K computer uses the GTX 1660 Super and is fine (a bit overkill) for 1080p multi camera work (but not tested with more than 2) and then they are network, not USB connected

Do any of these ex-lease refurbished desktop PCs look like they will be capable of handling the workload of a multiple 4 x WebCam setup?

The problem is, that question, though answerable, would probably lead you to imply more into the answer than is meant.
that is, there is the basics of getting all 4 cameras working and basic scene switching etc. and that has one set of hardware requirements
then, as your experience progresses, what is common is to start wanting to improve, like
- noise reduction
- color correction or chromakeying ('green screen'
- or any number of other filters and effects
and that isn't even accounting for what you may be running in the background ... if you don't know, then you need a larger buffer of spare resources)
ALL of which requires more resources.
And how long to you want this computer to last. Personally as much as I find Windows 11 to be a typical piss-poor every-other Desktop OS release by Microsoft, I'd NOT recommend getting a computer that can't run Windows 11 now (even if I started with Win10 for next year, when Win10 OS security updates are scheduled to end)... which excludes many of those refurbished systems (not all)

Even Operating System updates over time have changed resource requirements.

I'd avoid any of the old miniPCs. and ouch, those prices are really high for outdated computers ... hope that is exchange rate related...
I'd go for a tower, to avoid thermal throttling (CPU,. GPU, etc getting hot and slowing themselves down to prevent overheating/damage)
IF you can get one with a GTX 1650 Super (Turing) or newer NVENC, then you should be okay for 1080p work, If you want to be able to handle future 4K work, then I'd be looking at RTX

Looking at this another way
- Windows 11 release Oct 2021
- My i7-10700k (10th gen) was released in April 2020, I'd have to research more before considering anything older (and even then, probably wouldn't)
- based on US pricing, I would not get something older than Intel 10th Gen (too small a price premium to justify getting older). I personally am ok with comparable AMD CPUs, but for OBS Studio usage, I'd stick with nVidia GPUs
- 8GB RAM is too tight unless you are fairly obsessive about real-time monitoring of hardware resource utilization (CPU, RAM, Disk I/O, GPU,etc). I'd start at 16GB RAM which is okay for normal workloads, and you might want more if you find yourself getting even close to using all 16GB
- make sure Operating System is on SSD, not HDD, with plenty of spare space. I archive my Recordings onto a larger SATA HDD
- As I value long-term value, I've avoided the lower-end i3 & i5 Intel CPUs (and AMD equivalents) for a very long time. I've not had a reason to change that thinking, in terms of my own uses and general computing (I prefer to spend a little more now, and get and extra year or two of life out of a system... for others who read this... I'm not a gamer and gaming usage scenarios don't play into my thinking/analysis). HOWEVER, real-time video work changes that as the technology is changing rapidly.

kahakura

I'm re-reading those specs you've listed. I hear you saying to not go for the old ex-lease PCs.
These PCs are in NZ prices. $1 NZD = $.63 USD, so they are double what you might think is expensive.

I'll not do any post production work on the same PC that records video.
No post-production work. No fancy fades.

3 cameras plus screen input is my basic need.

Last edited:

kahakura

If USB Root Hub overload is preventing the PC from managing USB inputs from 3 cameras, then perhaps The techSupport can add another USB Root Hub. Or even two. I have no idea what that means. I'm just thinking in terms of Leggo. Any adjustments can be made post-production but not on this PC. Would that work?

khaver

Another option would be to install a multi-input HDMI capture card, such as a Black Magic Decklink Quad HDMI. This would allow you to use up to 4 HDMI cameras simultaneously in OBS. Or you could get 2 DeckLink Mini Recorder HDs for 2 HDMI cameras and use 2 USB webcams for your third and fourth cameras.

Tomasz Góral

CPU is not badly, but additional graphics card (GPU), buy GTX1050 as minimum, give you more efficency.
Second you have elgato, is connected to USB 3.0 (blue, some time red or yellow).
Check hub usb in available device, only one grabber (like elgato) can be connected to Hub, but your computer can use more USB ports, one Hub USB can connect 4 ports or more, but for all ports you got 5 Gb/s, 1080p resolution need 3Gb/s.
When you have USB 2.0 you got 480 Mb/s (0,5 Gb/s).

AaronD

Another option would be to install a multi-input HDMI capture card, such as a Black Magic Decklink Quad HDMI. This would allow you to use up to 4 HDMI cameras simultaneously in OBS. Or you could get 2 DeckLink Mini Recorder HDs for 2 HDMI cameras and use 2 USB webcams for your third and fourth cameras.
Maybe they've fixed it now, but when I tried a Decklink 4x SDI capture card, I couldn't get it to work. BM Support couldn't get it to work either. Neither on my preferred Linux nor on Windows 10. Then I got to thinking about the supplied options in their configuration app, and realized that I couldn't get 4 inputs anyway!

So I sent it back to Amazon, and got one of these instead. Only one function, no configuration, works right away.

kahakura

There is a female HDMI port on the PC. Can it be used for an input device, or is it intended for use of an output device. e.g. a second monitor?

AaronD

Please will you share with me which model ACASIS capture card you bought?
I think it was this one:
I know it was 4x SDI, not HDMI, because my cameras use SDI for the long runs from where they are to the broadcast PC, and I ran that directly into the card.

There is a female HDMI port on the PC. Can it be used for an input device, or is it intended for use of an output device. e.g. a second monitor?
No. HDMI is one direction only, except for the occasional passive switch. With very few exceptions (I've seen *one*, and it was dodgy), the built-in ports on a computer are outputs.