Bug Report MP4 and FLV come out darker in OBS Studio than OBS

Saturn2888

When saving as either FLV or MP4, the videos are coming out darker in OBS Studio than they did in OBS in the same way they would if I had the gamma set improperly in a video editing app.

I've had this problem myself when saving out videos in Sony Vegas using the wrong gamma. I believe if the gamma is set to 1.0 or 1.8 (Mac) instead of 2.2 (for Windows), it will record the video really dark. The old OBS doesn't have this issue so I figure it is just something that got messed up in the transition to OBS Studio.

In the first attached picture, you can see the video is darker in OBS Studio (left) vs OBS (right). This is more apparently when watching it in action. All the blacks are crushed, and it looks like the brightness is lower and the contrast higher. It's not an issue with this game or OBS Studio itself, only how it encodes video as you can see in the other attachment where OBS Studio and the game are side-by-side with the preview window match the game's colors.

I am using OBS Studio 64-bit 0.9.1 in Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Attachments

• 2015-05-09 05-09-34.txt
    4.4 KB · Views: 43
  • obs-studio-darker.png
    obs-studio-darker.png
    671.3 KB · Views: 244
  • obs-studio-darker2.png
    obs-studio-darker2.png
    737.6 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
The output file is actually not coming out differently, the color range was probably changed in advanced settings of either program. The YUV color range will affect how brights/darks appear.

Saturn2888

I see it now. I have it set to NV12 and YUV color range at full in the Advanced options of the left sidebar. Doh.

Kept it at NV12 for now and set it to YUV Partial; problem solved. Must've chosen it without thinking. Thanks Jim!

Last edited: