Question / Help MP3 Encoder for audio?

djUninen

Hi,

sorry if this question has come up or is answered elsewhere, searching for "mp3" doesn't work as it's too short.

Anyways, OBS for Mac seems great piece of software and I'd like to switch from FMLE but unfortunately I need mp3 encoder for my streams as for some technical reason the mobile software that my listeners use does not support AAC audio (which seems a bit ironic to me).

Any plans on mp3 audio encoder for the Mac version of OBS?

djUninen

I'm pinging this again cause I've yet to find a good solution.

So, nope, I spesifically need to stream mp3 stream as the service explicitly wants that in order to serve mobile users. ny other method results in no sound for them, which sucks.

So are there any plans to add this at all?

Harold

Mobile users support AAC encoded audio, so their logic falls short of being believable.

djUninen

Yep, that's why I called it ironic in my first post (as AAC is spesifically tailored towards mobile).

I expect it's because the mobile client is, to say it gently, of not the best possible quality. In any case, I broadcast a weekly show using this platform (that is controlled by a third party service, so I have no say in the matter whatsoever) with quite a lot mobile clients and I currently have no good solution for the SW stack. I currently use FMLE and I'd like to move to this millenium from it...

So my question stands; is there any plans at all to implement this to the new multiplatform version as it is in the win-version?

Harold

It's possible to do with the custom ffmpeg output, having it output to your ingest server through the recording system, but I don't know if it's going to be implemented in the main streaming options.

djUninen

Ok, thanks.

I actually just got a reply from a technical person from Mixify, the service in question. It seems that the problem is HSL streaming with iOS devices:

AAC only works on iOS if it's bundled with HLS delivery for streaming. This is specific to Apple's proprietary HTTP integration. AAC is not necessarily tailored or designed for mobile use, it's designed as an alternative to Mp3, but again can only be used with HLS delivery (not RTMP) on iOS devices. We looked into HLS on mobile a while back, we can revisit as some updates have been made to the spec in terms of reliability. The biggest gripe with HLS is that the latency is extremely high when compared to TCP-based protocols.​