More than 100k CBR on record?

Plopsi

Hey,

not sure if it is technically possible, but as you can force higher bitrates by lower QOP when using CBR for recording I'm pretty sure.

Currently the max bitrate for recording on CBR is 100k, which quite often is a bit low for higher resolutions, already 2k@60 gets artifacts here. While I can use CRF easily when using x264 via CPU, the GPU is limited on handling bitrates, the AMD RX570 for example maxes out at 500-600MBit and starts dropping frames due to encoding overload. Using the CBR at 100k and setting the QOP to a lower number (i.e 26 or 27 - for 2k) here means that I can hold on very complex scenes a high bitrate (for my 32:9 resolution that maxes normaly hat 480 wiht peaks at 550 on very complex scenes) and therefore a better quality - but on normal frames i tries of course to hold 100k an not going over it when it is within the QOP-range.
It would be nice to set for example a CBR of 300k or 400k and keep the qop completely open (0-51) to let the encoder decide how good it get's the quality.

It's just an idea which would make some lifes easier, and also gives better raw-material to work with on records :)

- Plopsi