Microsoft Teams NDI inputs - recommended hardware

RossMac

Hello all,

I've seen OBS around, but for what I do at work (since WFH was introduced) the built in Teams Live Events was sufficient albeit not without it's quirks and very simple layout and limited features. However since reading and watching videos bringing videos into OBS using NDI, this has really got me interested. I'm keen that our live events look more professional, can show multiple speakers at once, and can include external guests - which isn't possible at present in Teams alone.

I'm somewhat limited with kit though - whilst I have 500Mb consistently up/down (though NDI is on same machine), the i5 HP EliteBook with a whole 8GB RAM maxes out at 100% CPU when I try to record with video freezing. Lowering quality to 720p improves matters, and I'm sure there is lots more that I can do... but I imaging some new hardware will help immensely.

What I'm about to say will probably trigger laughter from many, but I'm looking at a Surface Book 3 i7 with 32GB RAM and either the GTX 1660 Ti Max-Q or Quadro RTX 3000 Max-Q - depending on which GPU will give better performance. I really need a mobile solution as I'm WFH for foreseeable future, but I have a regular desk, and also the lecture theatre where I may end up bringing in a source from external video mixer. The Surface as a) it's on our framework for suppliers so cheaper / no procurement issues, and b) I tend to now do a lot of work on collaboration / 365, and as such a visual person I found the Surface Go fantastic for my workflow but don't want to carry a separate device around. I do have the option of Lenovo P-series but the cost of these can go pretty astronomical, and whilst I used to have a beast of a HP ZBook, I hated carrying it around and it was prone to failure.

So... is a laptop a completely stupid idea (I don't know if NDI is as resource intensive as other methods of capture)? Will a discrete mobile GPU help, and would the Quadro be better for this specific purpose? And does anyone have practical experience with the Surface Book 3 15"?

Cheers,

Ross