Microphone audio very loud in OBS.

Ryan King

I use OBS a lot, to film tutorial videos. But one random day, a few days ago, when I opened up OBS to record a video, the microphone audio was very loud, which made the audio distorted. I didn't change any of the volume settings in OBS or on the microphone.

So I turned the volume down on the microphone. (The Microphone has a physical volume control on it.)
That sort of fixes the problem, but I have to turn it down so low, that when listening to the audio, the background noise is a lot louder. I can add a noise removal to the audio in Audacity, but the audio just doesn't sound as high quality with the volume turned down so low. Also, I have to talk really close to the microphone, for it to hear me well. But I have to talk pretty quiet, because it easily peaks, and gets distorted. If I just raise my voice slightly too high, it gets distorted and sounds terrible. And it still sometimes peaks, even with the volume on the microphone turned down so low.

I usually have the volume control on the microphone at a little under half way, and keep the OBS audio volume all the way up. That used to work great for me, until this issue happened. What I tried next, was to keep the volume on the microphone a little under half way up, like I usually do, and turn the volume on down on OBS. The problem with this, is that the microphone is still really loud, and so even though it doesn’t peek in OBS, it still gets distorted, because the sound coming from the Microphone is way too loud.

I've tried restarting my computer, and restarting OBS, but the problem remains. I looked through my computers sound settings, but couldn’t find anything unusual. I also checked the sound settings in OBS, but everything seems fine, as far as I know. I also tried re-installing OBS, but that didn’t change anything. Although I’m not sure if it actually uninstalled, because when I opened it up after the re-install, OBS remembered all of my preferences.

I also tried using the microphone in OBS on my laptop. I tested it at the same desk where my computer is, so that the background noise sounds the same. I just unplugged the microphone from my computer, and plugged it into my laptop. It worked just like it used to, and it didn’t peak unless I talked really loud. I was able to have the microphone volume at almost half way up, as I usually do, and have the volume in OBS all the way up, and it sounds great.

So I don’t think the microphone is broken or anything. It seems to work great on my laptop. So I have no idea why this just randomly started happening one day, in OBS on my computer.

If anyone can help, I’d really appreciate it. Thanks!
(If it would help, I can record some test recordings, and share a video of the issue here, so that you can hear it.)

Microphone:
FIFINE Studio Condenser USB Microphone Computer PC (Connects through USB)
Operating System: Linux Mint Cinnamon.
Log File URL: (I also attached a log file to this post.)

Attachments

• 2021-06-14 22-05-04.txt
    12.7 KB · Views: 29