Manually Resize Height and Width of Display Capture

LazloTheRascal

This might be a dumb question, but I'm trying to resize a few display capture sources in one scene. I know how to crop and resize the sources by grabbing the corners. But I'm trying to find a way to resize the sources to be the same size and I want to manually input the height and width numbers. I can't find a way to do this. Is this possible or is there a good work around for this?

LazloTheRascal

You can use hold down the ALT key and then drag the bounding box side you want to move...

Thanks for the reply! I do know I can crop it that way, I'm just trying to have a few sources be exact sizes so I'm trying to see if I can input specific numbers to the height and width of the source. Particularly in display capture.

FerretBomb

Thanks for the reply! I do know I can crop it that way, I'm just trying to have a few sources be exact sizes so I'm trying to see if I can input specific numbers to the height and width of the source. Particularly in display capture.
Right-click the source in the Sources list, Transform, Edit Transform.
Or just click on the source in the list and hit CTRL-E.
I'd also recommend checking out the 'scale filtering' option in the right-click menu, if you're going to be resizing in the preview window. It can make things look quite a bit better to enable bicubic filtering as compared to the default.

Lawrence_SoCal

I'd also recommend checking out the 'scale filtering' option in the right-click menu, if you're going to be resizing in the preview window. It can make things look quite a bit better to enable bicubic filtering as compared to the default.

@FerretBomb - could I get you to elaborate, or point me to reference material where I can learn more about this.
I don't use Studio Mode. And for my streaming, I am resizing (and/or cropping) lots of pre-recorded videos from different sources. I don't care that much if the Preview window isn't as attractive as it could be as long stream/recording is. But If using default resizing is negatively impacting stream quality, I wish to learn more to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot (so to speak).
Thanks in advance

FerretBomb

@FerretBomb - could I get you to elaborate, or point me to reference material where I can learn more about this.
I don't use Studio Mode. And for my streaming, I am resizing (and/or cropping) lots of pre-recorded videos from different sources. I don't care that much if the Preview window isn't as attractive as it could be as long stream/recording is. But If using default resizing is negatively impacting stream quality, I wish to learn more to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot (so to speak).
Thanks in advance
This has nothing to do with Studio Mode.
When resizing a source in the Preview window (as opposed to changing its native resolution to suit), by default a very low-quality fast rescale is used. This generally results in jaggies and low visual quality, getting worse as the resize becomes more extreme. You can see this by creating a text source, choosing a font with high detail (such as a CRT/scanline-emulation), using around 200pt, then resizing the text down. The edges will get jaggies, the details will be blurred and/or uneven (some scanlines missing, in the stated example). If you switch the source's Scale Filtering to Bicubic, that detail will clear up and get nice and sharp again.
It's subtle and you've gotta look for it, but once you see it, the difference becomes HUGE.

Scale filtering defaulted to 'disable':
1610605178885.png

Scale filtering on the source set to 'bicubic':
1610605200903.png

The same thing happens on the edges of sources, notably those with transparency. Webcams with a greenscreen are especially visible, and make them look subconsciously crappy.

mgw

@LazloTheRascal , @Lawrence_SoCal , @FerretBomb Hi All, I'm creating a scene similar to Lazlo. After I set all the sources into their own tiles with my chosen transforms for each one, how do I preserve those transforms within the scene or the source ? I want to be able to use those same transforms within another scene if possible, which would then have different sources also, but use the same transforms of x,y width and height.

FerretBomb

@LazloTheRascal , @Lawrence_SoCal , @FerretBomb Hi All, I'm creating a scene similar to Lazlo. After I set all the sources into their own tiles with my chosen transforms for each one, how do I preserve those transforms within the scene or the source ? I want to be able to use those same transforms within another scene if possible, which would then have different sources also, but use the same transforms of x,y width and height.
Right-click a source in the Sources list, go to Transform->Copy Transform. Then swap to the new scene, do the same and Paste Transform as appropriate. There's no way to do it for all sources in a scene wholesale, but it beats the old method of writing the values down by hand for each one.

Bleifresser

Old topic, but an additionial question to that. Does someone know how to adress the transform via stream deck? I want to have an reaction screen where the window is smaller and by pressing a button it will go to fullscreen. I know I could achieve this via two window captures and by activating/deactivating but by a transform it would be smoother and probably better for obs to handle.

Edit: Another option is also having two scenes, still not what I am searching.