Make stop recording process safe

HHS

Hi,

I recorded an important interview for my thesis. I had saved it to a place with more than enough disc space, and saved it to .mkv. But I accidently double-clicked the Stop Button - and now I have only 1/3 of my whole interview. A short research in this forum it seems to me that I´m not the only one with this problem. It does not seem that the recording is cached anywhere, I can`t get the missing part of the interview back.

Is there any possibility in the near future that the stop button can`t be pressed until the recording is saved to the disc? Also the message "stopping recording..." make it seems to some users, that the program is hanging which leads to press the button again- this time the stop process is instant and fatal.

Just an idea

Thanks for reading

Relatedly or not, I recently had the system hang on "Stopping recording" and I lost the entire show. I'm not sure whether I double-clicked or what. One theory is that I had a Camera Properties window floating outside the visible area. Apparently you can launch a Camera Properties type window, then return to OBS and do lots of other things fine, but OBS will hang when trying to save a recording. Not sure. This may deserve its own post but I don't know enough about it and I definitely thought I might have double-clicked by mistake.