MacBook Air vs. MacBook Pro

ScottKresge

I just purchased a MacBook Air 1.2 Ghz i7 that was released in March of this year. No matter what I do in the settings with encoding or bit rate just a straight stream from a single NDI camera eventaully starts to drop frames and if I add a media source video to play a pre recorded video in amongst the live shot it drops way down and is overloaded. Thinking the GPU isn't capable and the 1.2 Ghz i7 is not enough. Anybody using a new MacBook Air successfully? And if not, what configuration of the MacBook Pro would anyone recommend that can handle this no problem. It has fallen on me to research it for the church and can't afford to get another computer that won't meet our needs. Thanks in advance for any answers or support you all can give.

ScottKresge

Did some further testing.

Doesn’t look like the new MacBook Air can handle just a simple stream, which to me doesn’t sound right. My older iMac (from late 2015) seems to handle the same requirements which also makes no sense to me. The specs to both follow.

MacBook Air (13” Retina, 2020)
Processor: 1.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4
Graphics : Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB

iMac (27’’ Retina 5K, Late 2015)
Processor: 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Memory : 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics : AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 GB

So theoretically the MacBook Pro 2019 with an i9 chip and 8 GB video should be able to do what the iMac does and more, correct? Is there anyone out there with the latest MacBook Pro with an i9 that can share their experiences?? Does OBS Studio benefit from having more than 16 GB of RAM? Please, really need some feedback.

I tried streaming (with 25 Mbps upload speed) a test to a Facebook Page and had the exact same preferences in OBS for both of the computers.

Streaming settings: Apple VT H264 Hardware Encoder, Enforce streaming service encoder settings, Bitrate 5000 Kbps, Profile none, Use B-Frames.
Recording settings: Format: mp4, Apple VT H264 Hardware Encoder, Bitrate 8000 Kbps, Profile none, Use B-Frames.

RESULTS
Streaming only: Switching between 2 NDI camera shots and to prerecorded videos using the media source, source.
iMac: Got 30 fps on the stream.
MacBook Air: Started 30 fps and it quickly dwindled to 25 fps and then finally settled at 20 fps after 5-10 minutes.

Streaming AND recording: Switching between NDI camera shots and to prerecorded videos using the media source, source.
iMac: Got 30 fps on the stream with a decent recording for picture and sound saved to the HD.
MacBook Air: Started 30 fps on the stream and it quickly dwindled to 15-20 fps and eventually ended up near 10 fps and the recording was sputtering with video and sound.

visyrjal

Hi, I am wondering somewhat the same issues. I am not an expert more in a learning phase.

Today I tried to Stream with my MacBook Air 2020 i5 8GB to Facebook with OBS.
I am Using Sony A6400 Camera to Elgato CamLink and audio from Tascam iXZ interface, one condenser microphone.

OBS: I have setting for 1280x720 and 50 fps
In my camera HD setting and 100P 100M

I added 90ms delay for audio to sync with video. Seemed to be just right.
Everything worked fluently, for my needs.

I would like to stream 4K, but this is too much for MacBook Air. I tried recording 4K with OBS, and it is just disappointing.

I also tried with Zoom, and it managed 4K perfectly.

I have one 16" MacBook Pro 2,3ghz 32GB 8gb5500 waiting for opening, or I just return it, and wait if there is one new coming this autumn.