Question / Help Mac screen loss after certain time period in OBS

Steve Grant

Hello all,

I have an issue where my Mac screen starts to flash after a few minutes in OBS (could be 5 minutes, could be 1 hour). I cannot determine what exactly is triggering this to happen but it does not occur with other demanding programs such as Traktor PRO 3, Lightroom etc.

Here is a link to a video I made showing what is happening. I basically lose control of the Mac and have to press and hold the power button and do a hard restart to get back in to the Mac. It never gives a crash report though, like it's not appearing as an OBS issue as such?

I have also attached a screenshot of my mac spec. It's also worth mentioning that my screen tends to flicker a bit when OBS is running (even when not streaming). It seems as though this Mac does not like OBS. I am considering purchasing a PC to do the job but wanted to check here first in case it's only a small issue I have overlooked in settings. I am running OBS 25.0.7 (64 bit)

Any help would be great before I decide to go and buy another system for streaming. It's worth noting also that this occurs when simply streaming a vinyl dj set using audio via iRig Stream i.e. not running Traktor. I have followed simple steps to reduce cpu load such as running without preview, reducing over-elaborate scene use, etc. Just an external dslr (via capture card), face time cam on mac and irig stream card for audio. CPU usage at approx 12%.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot at Apr 22 00-06-11.png
    Screenshot at Apr 22 00-06-11.png
    185.8 KB · Views: 1

Steve Grant

Since posting the original thread I had to run conditions similar to when it crashed before. This time it took approx 2.5 hrs of streaming before it went. Logs attached below. the file labelled crash.pdf was obtained using the path file ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/

The file labelled panic.pdf was the apple report that was presented upon system startup, perhaps these are the same reports? i'm not that tech savvy I'm afraid.

And here's the OBS crash file from that incident...

Thanks,

SG

Attachments

• panic.pdf
    91.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Crash.pdf
    93.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 2020-04-22 02-58-20.txt
    9.8 KB · Views: 0