Logitech C920 Webcam

B-Eazy

Ive been trying for months to get my camera to work in obs studio and everytime it shows a blank grey screen and and then shows a red square in top left which would usually be used to move it around but when you click on it it disapears. Ive tried literally everything i can research and still nothing. says camera is being used by another app when i know its not. camera works when i go into camera on computer. and it works in the logitech g hub. but those are the only places it works at. someone please help if they have an idea. if updated drivers and uninstalled and reinstalled. deactivated and activated. still nothing. turned off antivirus and still nothing

This webcam does not need manually installing any drivers, the default auto install from windows driver is already good to go. It is the most commonly used webcam in live streaming for years.

In OBS, remove all sources of the webcam and close it.

Then unplug the usb webcam, uninstall every logitech software from control panel, also go check device manager(Audio inputs and outputs - Imaging devices - Sound, video and game controllers ) and uninstall any logitech c920 driver you see anywhere(also check any software that you got which can use the webcam that auto starts with windows, disable the startup with windows - Task Manager and Taskbar hidden icons). Restart the PC once its fully loaded in the desktop, then plug in the webcam and give it a few minutes to auto install the windows driver(when Logitech Capture appears, do not install it - simply hit "X" to close it). You may check Device Manager to see if its installed(Audio inputs and outputs - Imaging devices - Sound, video and game controllers). Now go open OBS Studio and test adding in sources the Video Capture Device and select the c920 webcam... and it should work, if anything set the custom resolution to the desired size ex 1920x1080 and choose 30fps.

Last edited:

B-Eazy

This webcam does not need manually installing any drivers, the default auto install from windows driver is already good to go. It is the most commonly used webcam in live streaming for years.

In OBS, remove all sources of the webcam and close it.

Then unplug the usb webcam, uninstall every logitech software from control panel, also go check device manager(Audio inputs and outputs - Imaging devices - Sound, video and game controllers ) and uninstall any logitech c920 driver you see anywhere(also check any software that you got which can use the webcam that auto starts with windows, disable the startup with windows - Task Manager and Taskbar hidden icons). Restart the PC once its fully loaded in the desktop, then plug in the webcam and give it a few minutes to auto install the windows driver(when Logitech Capture appears, do not install it - simply hit "X" to close it). You may check Device Manager to see if its installed(Audio inputs and outputs - Imaging devices - Sound, video and game controllers). Now go open OBS Studio and test adding in sources the Video Capture Device and select the c920 webcam... and it should work, if anything set the custom resolution to the desired size ex 1920x1080 and choose 30fps.
I Just Tried this and still nothing

B-Eazy

have you check the camera privancy settigns in windows ?
Yes i have checked it and at the bottom itll say some desktop apps might not appear in the following list or are not affected by this setting

thats when i see OBS STUDIO and says last accessed 4/11/2021 then theres obs64 Last accessed 8/4/2020. Still can not click on them at all tho.

cyclemat

1645223219638.png

is the yellow checked ?

did the cam woking in other apps when the ghub is close and obs is closed ?

If the camera does not even work with OBS... you trying what I suggested(every single thing) then its something wrong with your computer
I guess you could uninstall OBS, then restart PC and install the latest OBS Studio again.

OP does it appear in device manager in the places I said? And you have not yet installed Logitec Capture(no logitech software stuff) right?

As for what he mentioned, Start > Settings > type in: camera
and choose "camera privacy settings"

This should show all the apps where you have allowed camera access, OBS Studio should appear in: Let desktop apps access your camera.

-edit- nevermind I missed the post where you got there, now I am also not sure where that is(his screenshot) since as you the other language has me lost

B-Eazy

If the camera does not even work with OBS... you trying what I suggested(every single thing) then its something wrong with your computer
I guess you could uninstall OBS, then restart PC and install the latest OBS Studio again.

OP does it appear in device manager in the places I said? And you have not yet installed Logitec Capture(no logitech software stuff) right?

As for what he mentioned, Start > Settings > type in: camera
and choose "camera privacy settings"

This should show all the apps where you have allowed camera access, OBS Studio should appear in: Let desktop apps access your camera.

-edit- nevermind I missed the post where you got there, now I am also not sure where that is(his screenshot) since as you the other language has me lost
yes i did go to device manager and they were exactly where you said. just still nothing. my camera has worked in the past i just dont know whats going on for it to not work now. Ive looked it up so many times and i try so many things and seems like it would do the trick and still nothing. I even saw this guy posted how he had the same problem and over time it just randomly started working again. Even who doesnt know what happened. So im very very lost.

By any chance do you got access to another computer? As in test your webcam on the other computer(install OBS on it of course) to see if it works on a different computer that is not yours.

I know my logitech C920 is from 2012 and its still works flawlessly, I wrote my instructions testing on another PC which I had never used it on before - basically a new first time install test. Which of course for me it worked plug n play no issues. Its certainly wierd what is happening on your computer :(

But this is strictly with OBS because you have said it works with everything else... Windows Camera and I assume in other softwares like Discord, Skype, Zoom etc.. that it also works on there too. So, did you do fully uninstall OBS Studio(including deleting all its settings/profiles/scenes etc...), restarted the PC and install the latest OBS Studio again to re-test? If anything try the previous version: 27.1.3 https://cdn-fastly.obsproject.com/downloads/OBS-Studio-27.1.3-Full-Installer-x64.exe

If you like we can do Team Viewer, me controlling your computer attempting to fix it or we can use Discord(me watching your Screen but you doing what I suggest). Because maybe the " camera is being used by another app " is true... who knows but I could help if I can see your computer screen(so i can check all the processes and stuff running on your computer). Basically figure out what is causing OBS to think that its being used by another app. Anyways if you want to do this then get Discord and let me know here and I will private message(Start conversation) you here to send you my discord username#### to add me. Or you can just go in my Twitch and join my discord server(you will find the discord link there in my profile) and directly message me there.