Question / Help Live Stream Problems (sound, video, sync)

Andy VanDyke

Hi !
I've been pulling out my hair trying to figure out how to solve some Live Streat Issues.

First of all - when streaming an existing video I have sound problems (stuttering or missing pieces), video too slow, video and audio not synced.
And second of all when doing a live broadcast, Syncing problems, video too slow, sound breaking off..

I have searched extensively on Google and found several solutions, tried them, experimenten with others and I cannot solve it. It's probably a minor thing.. but what..

I've done 2 tests.
1. Pre recorded video streamed
https://www.facebook.com/andyvandijk/videos/10211567344202111/

2. Live video streamed
https://www.facebook.com/andyvandijk/videos/10211567283160585/

I've also got a log report from both streams which I will attach.
+++
I'm working on a MacBook Pro late 2007
Intel Corer 2 Dueo
2.4 Hz
I upgraded the memory to 8 GB
and I installed a 500GB SSD

I'm using a LED Cinema Display
Resolution 1920x1200

+++

I hope someone can help me.. I am pretty good with computers, but very new to video so most of the things are read are a bit foreign to me - So simple language would be greately appreciated :)

Thank you in advance for your kind help !
Andy VanDyke
Amsterdam
Netherlands

Attachments

• Test 1 - Streaming a pre-recorded video.txt
    7.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Test 2- Broadcasting Live.txt
    15.3 KB · Views: 21

EBrito

Hello:

I´m a Windows user, but from your second log
19:10:44.334: Output 'simple_stream': Number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 6357 (97.0%)
19:10:44.334: Output 'simple_stream': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 3920 (57.2%)
19:10:44.334: Output 'simple_stream': Number of dropped frames due to insufficient bandwidth/connection stalls: 8 (0.1%)

Try rescaling down to 480p
Bitrate 1500 No more needed.
Only 2 cores CPU is very weak. Enconding video requieres a lot of CPU power.

About audio
19:04:04.342: adding 23 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 812 milliseconds
19:04:04.576: Last log entry repeated for 9 more lines
19:04:04.577: Max audio buffering reached!
19:04:04.577: adding 23 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 1044 milliseconds

As I said, not an expert on Mac.
You are using 2 webcams : C615 and iSight.
Maybe this is what causes audio isues.
Try with only one connected.

Andy VanDyke

Hello EBrito,

Thanks for taking the time to look at my issues and for your suggestions. I've just done two more tests and unfortunately changing the settings hasn't helped.

What I did: Change the Video Output Resolution to 768x480
I actually turned off both camera's (as it was a prerecorded video)
I also closed all other programs on my Mac

Since making the changes I've lost audio output..

The first test video I had no audio and the video started to slow down

https://www.facebook.com/andyvandijk/videos/10211574505501139/

The second I also had no audio. Video did not slow down. Before doing the 2nd test I converted the video from mp4 to mkv as I believe that's a better format for streaming. The result was that the video was okay, but the audio was still missing..

https://www.facebook.com/andyvandijk/videos/10211574543222082/

I've attached the log files..
My macbook pro is from 2007 which probabl explains the 2 cores. I've upgraded it much as I can.. Having installed the SSD has already made a huge improvement on the performance. Unfortunately, replacing or adding CPU is not recommended at all for a MacBook pro. So until I have the money to buy a new one I have to try and made this work :)

Do you have any new suggestions :)
Kind regards,
Andy

Attachments

• Testing.txt
    22 KB · Views: 11
  • Test 2.txt
    8.8 KB · Views: 5

EBrito

About audio:

Check audio settings section. In desktop audio, select default. I think you have it disabled.
Your CPU is weak, In fact, the laptop i´m using now has a verya similar one and my attempts to stream with this PB at 480p had very bad results.

So, I think you should try downscaling to 360p and using Bicubic filter (worse image, but less CPU usage).

Andy VanDyke

Hi EBrito, thanks for your input..

I've attached a Word Document with some text and screenshots to show you what's I've now done. As well as 2 log files. I'm afraid I haven't gotten much further.

I still don't have sound (I explained the microphone in the attached file).. My CPU usages is between 40-45% which is great! But why isn't it working?

+++

Okay. I just tried something different... I've been using the same video to test all the time.. I was thinking, what if there's something with the video - or it's not 'compatible'.. (though when I play it back on my mac, it's perfect). So I added a video which I got using a video screen capture program. - it's very high quality.. And believe it or not, but that video is streaming without any problems. Even at 1280x800 using the bicubic filter. And it's only using 35% CPU....

So what I now need to do is find out what the difference between the two videos is. The first one I recorded using Screenflow.. Perhaps I need to change the setting there..

+++

Thank you very much for your help ! Thanks to all your suggestions you made me look "outside the box" at what the problem could be. I've also learned a lot. So I'm very grateful :)

I'll try and figure out why that first video didn't work and let you know what it is that's wrong. Perhaps someone else can benefit from that information :)

Thanks again !
Andy

Attachments

• OBS Notes Andy.zip
    393.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Test 3.txt
    24 KB · Views: 4
  • Test 4.txt
    8.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Test With OTHER Video.txt
    17.3 KB · Views: 9

EBrito

You can try Handbrake to convert video to a different / better format
https://handbrake.fr/

By the way, I think you are using OBS Studio 0.15.6. Last MacOS version is 0.16.2
I think you should update it

AUDIO:

You DON´t have DESKTOP AUDIO
upload_2017-1-15_22-46-50.png

Check Audio Settings
upload_2017-1-15_22-48-2.png

Andy VanDyke

I'm familiar with Handbrake. I absolutely love it :) And indeed it gives great quality !

You're right - I do not have a desktop audio actived. I have my mcbook attached to a large LED screen. There is a built-in audio device there, but I'm not happy with the quality. I can't use my macbook built in audio as it's closed.. I have therefore connected an external source (Logitec camera) to the mic/aux and that works perfectly for both output and input. I tested it also whilst doing a live broadcast and it works great :)

I will update straight away - thank you !!