Linking Yamaha TF 3 to OBS

matt1004

I am trying to use our Yamaha TF 3 for our live streaming. It has a USB output, which we plug into the MAC we using for live streaming. I am having problems with volume though. The feed from the desk is VERY quiet, and I can't figure out how to adjust it.
On the desk I am using the "Input/output:" section that has the recording going out to the USB, but i have no control of it. Its a main mix from the desk, but when I adjust the master volume, it makes no difference. I have tried adding a filter on OBS to boost the gain, which sort of helped, but it was still very quiet and had lots of background fussy noise when listening back.

Can anyone help with the correct set up using the Yamaha TF 3 for live streaming?
(our back up which is working well is a small Behringer Xenyx Q1202 USB which works like a bomb, great sound and great volume. The usb connection into OBS works well, and is adjustable as we increase or decrease the master volume. We want to try the Yamaha as our team is growing, but I can't figure out why the volume is so low. )

galambfagyi

Just the same thing is happening to me... Any update if you solved it?

Funny how we are using the same Behringer mixer for the same reason :D

AaronD

Broadcast/mastered and live audio are different. Live speakers are still live audio, but the broadcast is mastered. As I said for someone else in this forum:

A live signal, like what comes from the mic, is unpredictable in what it's going to do next. You don't want a sudden jump in volume to be distorted, so you need to keep some "headroom", or unused volume, for those sudden jumps to work in. How much headroom is anyone's guess, but a general rule in professional live work is about 18dB. That's kind of a lot, but we often do end up using it.

A mastered signal, like a TV show, has already tamed everything and knows exactly what's coming. So its goal is to minimize noise in the cheap transmission medium. (TV channel, radio, CD, cassette tape, etc.) To do that, they simply turn it up to use all the headroom it has, and expect the end-listener to set it where they like it. This keeps the end-listener's volume setting as low as possible, which effectively turns down the noise.

A live broadcast is both. The input is live, and the output is mastered. So you need to have something in between to make that conversion. A recording app that tries to hide all the complexity, might have some automatic processing that *usually* works for that, but OBS doesn't. On purpose. Not automatic anyway, because it has no way to know that "this is a mic" and "that's an external mixing console".

You can, however, add a Compressor filter to what you know to be the mic (maybe two Compressors with different settings, or a Compressor and a Limiter), and tweak them by ear (or have someone else tweak them by ear while you feed the mic) to knock the peaks down without sounding "processed" and put the result up to where a mastered broadcast is expected to be.

That someone else was only using OBS, so I told him to use the filters in OBS. But since you have an external mixing console, try to use that first. If the console has a bus compressor, that's probably better than OBS's compressor.