Let us select a source to move around from the list

I realise the title of this topic is unclear, so here is my real suggestion.

My scenes can contain a multitude of sources, like images, webcam, text, game captures and so on. As I am pretty pixel perfect in my mind I want my sources to be just in the right spot within my scene to make for a nice design. So I often move a new source around pixel by pixel to get it just right. Nothing special here...

The problem is: if sources overlap, like a webcam, an image that I show when not camming, and a webcam overlay, if I click in the design OBS selects the upper layer and then after repeated clicking it will eventually select a deeper layer. Often it will select even the upper layer which is a general overlay in my case. So it can be a drag to get the focus on the source that I actually want to move around or edit.

Now I can of course select my wanted source in the list of sources in my scene, but the problem is that after doing that I can not immediately move it around by using the arrow keys. The focus is on the list of sources after clicking one so the arrow buttons react to the list and not to the position of the source I selected. I wish this was not the case: please keep the focus on the source I selected and make it possible to change its position.

If this is unclear I will add more comments.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Yea, I understand what you're saying, that is quite annoying to have to deal with. You want to use the arrow keys on a source that's way below the top layer, but can't do it when you select it via the list box because it takes input focus for keyboard away from the preview.

I'll acknowledge that's annoying, there needs to be a way to lock selection probably. As a temporary workaround, do this instead: select it via the list, then hold the control button and click the grey empty area of the viewport. It'll keep your selection from the list box and then give keyboard/mouse focus back to the preview, so you can use the arrow keys to adjust again. Not the ideal solution, but should work as a temporary workaround until some sort of selection locking is in place or something.

It is actually the Command key while clicking in the grey area that works for me, but thanks for the suggestion and I can easily live with this solution for now, no worries.