Laptop or compact desktop options under $1K

techprof

I'm looking to upgrade our AV streaming laptop at our church with a budget of $1000. I see two general options for laptops in this price range:
  • 4 core Intel chips with 8Gb ram and GTX1660 (Turing NVENC)
  • 6 core Ryzen with 1650 (pre-turing NVENC) and 16-32GB ram
I'm wondering if its worth giving up the more powerful Ryzen CPUs (and additional RAM) to get a GPU with the 'Turing' NVENC? Since we're talking about a church service, the GPU won't be doing anything other than encoding.

My goal for now is to stream at 1080P, but if possible I'd like to be able to stream 4K in the future. We have 1GB internet, so bandwidth isn't an issue.

I'd also be open to a compact desktop, though I haven't yet seen one that seemed compelling vs current laptop options.

Lawrence_SoCal

I've posted a number of times recently with others asking a similar question in this forum on what I went with (in July) and why. Though not my first choice, I ended up with a Dell Optiplex 7080 with i7-10700K; 16GB RAM, & GTZ 1660 Super for our House of Worship live stream setup. Currently, the PC is complete overkill (CPU & GPU below 10% during streaming), but should provide many years of use (hooked up to auto voltage regulating backup power supply). My delivered cost in CA sales tax was over $1,500 but that included 5 yr Premier Pro onsite, next business day support, and a DVD RW DL. so getting closer to $1,000 is certainly possible, even for a similar caliber system
I avoid consumer grade PC more than I try to avoid COVID-19. Business class PCs cost a little more up-front but saves significantly in the long run (in my experience) and are WAY better built. For 2020, personally I'd consider a 6-core/12 thread CPU to be a minimum for a streaming computer you expect 5 years of life from, and 8c/16t being a better value and my target. See my other recent posts on PC specs for more detailed thoughts on this issue and why I spec'ed / bought what I did

The GTX 1650 will be fine today, but for future 4K, yea, my cautious side says to hold out for the 1650 Super. On the other hand, if GPU is the primary concern in your purchase decision, then I'd get the better CPU now, with the GTX 1650, then replacing the GPU in 2 or 3 years for a RTX 3060 for $150 [or whatever ... GPU is easy swap, and getting the GPU power when you actually need it]. The only reason to hold out for a RTX based GPU now is if you planned to use its AI noise reduction... but that tech isn't mature, so not something I'd pursue unless you like being on the bleeding edge

My primary home PC is a 10+ yr old i7-920 with 24GB of RAM [and other than photo/video editing, works great]. Like with the streaming PC, I wanted to replace it with a Ryzen 7 3900X, system but couldn't find a Tier 1 OEM business class system with X570 chipset (all had the old B450 w/ PCIe v3 which strikes me as silly). So now, with AMD's traction, I'm hoping that I can find a good business class Ryzen 5900X system (CPU announced this week, shipping next month), but I do expect to pay (a little, but not a lot) more than $1K

mozius

Any suggestions regards laptops for the similar services? Just would be good 14inch ( don't like to carry big ones)