Question / Help Laptop, black screen, but my problem is unique

Reg

Hello. I'm using an AVerMedia DVD EZMaker 7 capture device to capture gameplay from my various consoles to my PC via the device's USB cable. I'm attempting to stream to Twitch.
I recently installed OBS and used the Auto-Configuration to get everything started, Windows installed my AVerMedia device just fine. OBS picks up and records the game audio perfectly fine, however I cannot get video to show up in preview or recording. My problem appears to be unique compared to others as I'm using the Video Capture Device source (not Display/Window/Game Capture), and my laptop does not have NVIDIA nor AMD adapters (mine uses Intel(R) HD Graphics). For the source Video Capture Device, I made sure it has my capture card (AVerMedia USB Polaris Analog Capture) selected.
Things I've tried:
- Running OBS as administrator
- This solution (did not work)
- Changing the Encoder from "Hardware (QSV)" to "Software (x264)"
- Tried using the source "Game Capture", "Window Capture", "Display Capture" - nothing, as I need to select my capture device

My laptop is running Windows 10 Version 1903 (64-bit). In the log file, there is nothing notable except for "DShow: Run failed (0x800705AA): Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service." appearing every few minutes. I did a lot of online troubleshooting for my problem, but all solutions I found were aimed at users with different adapters like NVIDIA and AMD, as well as they were using Game Capture/Window Capture/Display Capture, and as such those didn't work for me.
Annotation 2020-05-06 062833.png

Reg

I don't like bumping my own topics but this has already fallen onto the second page with no replies and I could really use the help.

carlmmii

Post the entire log file as an attachment. Posting one line from it is only slightly informative -- it tells nothing of what else is going on.

carlmmii

This is most likely a driver issue, or your capture device needs a specific resolution/format set.

First thing to do is install/reinstall the drivers listed here (bottom of the page, look for the windows 10 .zip file).

Once you're set with drivers, then try again, and if it does not work, then try setting a custom resolution (keep 720x480). Other things to try are the disable/enable buttons to reinitialize, and changing the video format to something else if available (currently it is set to YUY2).

Unfortunately, this problem is very hard for us to give a definitive set of instructions to fix, as it is only a generic "can't read this device" error from an older capture device with custom drivers.

Reactions: Reg

Reg

Well he went offline and I'm in an even worse position than before. Anyone know how I can uninstall the drivers?

Reg

I don't know how, but I think I just fixed it. I was trying to check the driver information for AVerMedia, I accidentally uninstalled it, then tried for a while to reinstall it (unplugged and plugged back in, updated drivers as it still showed up in my devices), restarted my PC, then unplugged/plugged it back in again. Then I opened OBS, noticed that the audio was now being picked up again but still a black screen with a weird red bracket in it (that was new), then went into the settings for my Video Capture Device, clicked "Configure Video", then suddenly the video showed up. So far it's working perfectly. I'll update in a bit to make sure this is consistent, if it is, then I'll mark it as solved.

Thank you carlmmii, I appreciate your help here (sorry I was getting a bit frustrated).

Reg

Just updating that I've had consistent success with OBS since my last post, no problems other than some initial heavy lag that was easily fixed by adjusting the encoder settings. Unfortunately I can't stream due to my laptop having a wireless internet connection.